Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 3.5r3_Normalmap problem

laTarm
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
laTarm polycounter lvl 9
Hi.

I can´t get my normal map to generate to a lowpoly objekt.

My workflow is. I do my highpoly mesh.
Then I append the lowpoly under in subtools. (whit a uvmap).
Then I have the highpoly mesh at it lowest subdiv.
And select the lowpoly. Then I go done to normal map in the tool meny and push create normalmap.
then it says: note. Map connot be created while the highest subdiv level is active...

But I have the lowest subdiv.???

What am I missing??

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    AFAIK, the normalmap bakes from the highest subdivision level of a tool down to whatever lower level you tell it, of the very same tool. It does not bake data from one tool to another. With your steps, I believe you're trying to create a normal map OF the lowpoly (which is at it's highest subdivision level, hence the error).

To bake from a sculpted high-poly mesh to a completely new mesh with different topology, you'll have to subdivide the new mesh a few times and project the sculpted details onto it. Then it's sub-d 1 will have the topology you want, and the highest level will have all the detail you need for the bake.
  • laTarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laTarm polycounter lvl 9
    okej.. tanks

I try that.
    So you can´t bake from one tool to another i zbrush any more?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't think so.
    3. Projection of Details from a High Resolution Mesh to Different Topology. This was actually the main reason why ZMapper was developed in the first place. However, thanks to the projection features that now exist in ZBrush (the ZProject Brush, as well as Tool>SubTool>Project All) you can now do such projections without needing ZMapper. What's more, you have much more control. Project All has settings that you can use to refine your projections. The ZProject brush lets you project specific areas. Masks can protect parts of the model from projection if you know that they will create problems. After projection, you can also clean up the results before creating your normal map. (With ZMapper, what it gave was what you got. You had no way to refine your results.)