Home Technical Talk

What uv program for tasks ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
Quick question. I am using Headus uv for the most part but it seems like it can't render open models (mesh with holes in it like under buildings). I was thinking to try textools instead for this since i already work in 3ds max 2011, but where can icut the seems ?, it seems like roadkill is plugin but to i have to use an entire new program just to split edges? god i miss Blender sometimes..

1. Is it anyway around the fact to work on open models in headus uv.
2. how do i cut seams in textools ?
3. is it any plugin that has cutting and uvtools in one?

thanks !

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    UVlayout definitely does work with meshes that have open edges. Any chance of showing us the problem model?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I have started to use uvlayout too, mainly for packing the unwrapped stuff at the moment, cos it does it much more nicely than max. I wonder if autodesk fancy updating their packing algorithm.... :)
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    UVlayout definitely does work with meshes that have open edges. Any chance of showing us the problem model?

I am really glad you said that ,actually i cant at the moment, but its a house that has all the polygons from the bottom taken away, could it be that the mesh has errors ? ,actually it warned me for that when i importet it but it was so many errors it was very clear it had to be the open part.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'd suggest uploading an OBJ file of your house model (get dropbox for a nice easy way to do this, if you can't host the file yourself). Then we can take a look at it.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    I'd suggest uploading an OBJ file of your house model (get dropbox for a nice easy way to do this, if you can't host the file yourself). Then we can take a look at it.

Thanks alot man,thts very kind of you, i actually got it to work at home something thats really strange ?, anyway i have a question for you aswell, lets say that i am modeling a house that will have 2 textures applied to it.

The first texture is a stonewall texture 256*256 that tiles all sides of the building, for this i use the uvmap modifier inside max an just apply a planar projection on each side.

The second texture is a 512*512 and contains all the details like corner lists on the building,door frames,window frames and so on., and then i export the model to headus uv to cut up the tiny bits on the house to stack on the 512*512 detailed texture, how does the uv lines actually look then? i am quite new to texturing, Becouse the first planar mapping i did in map should be exactly on the edge on one uv and the details should have another.

What are uv channels for and the cordinate systems in the uv mode?

i hope you can make some sence out of this ;)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    If you're using more than 1 material, take a look at the multi-sub material in max. It basically lets you put materials in 'slots' and youre model's faces have material IDs which match the slots. In your case the stonewall parts get ID 1, the rest ID 2. Then the correct texture appears in the correct place on the model.

When you do your Uvs there are various ways to only see the material ID you are working with, some inside Uvunwrap window, or you can select the faces you are working with and then Unwrap window will only show that selection when it pops open.

Good luck!

<edit> Uv channels are if you will need _the same parts of the model to have different kinds of mapping_ Shouldn't need it if you're doing simple straightforward models. One example would be a model with lots of tiling textures which you want to have unique AO or light map of some kind, you would unwrap all the faces in some automatic way in order than each face gets its own space on the ao/lighting in channel 2, but still has tiling UVs for the main textures in channel 1.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    thanks alot for that answer, i think i understand now, have you got any links to tutorials that explains this better ?, whould be nice to really read throught alot about texturing channels, multible materials and so on. , THANKS !
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I'm just watching it now to make sure it isnt a bad tutorial but try this, or google.

http://www.vimeo.com/6133443

It's not English, but covers the relevant bits. Have a google around - I am not aware of one uber tutorial for this. IF you have a specific example with a specific problem I can help more. Check the max help file too, I'm pretty sure it is covered.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Hoe should i do to ONLY get up the detail uvparts in uv layout? , it seems that the other always comes along. thanks i will watch soon !!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    As long as you are exporting materials uvlayout lets you select by material, so you can work on what you need to.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    awsome i try that do you do all of your uv in headus?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    no. just for packing shells when it is not important to do by hand. I use the awesome textools by renderhjs in max for the majority of the unwrapping.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    but the textools doesnt seem to do any cut ? , also it messed up my uv, i can select and snap any vertecies anymore.. ,have i done something wrong you think ?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, probably. Hard to say without any images or examples of the problems you are having.

Of course it is possible in 3ds max to split uvs and to snap/stitch and weld uvs, you just have to learn how.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    learn how okay. As far as i know there is no way to mark seams inside 3dsmax, and there arte no ways to mark seams in textools, please let me know how this is done ,it would help me ALOT.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Read the help file.

Select edges in viewport or uveditor (when in uvunwrap mode) and then right click in uv window and select 'break' this splits the uv shell at this edge selection.

Using textools, you can select the bit you want and just press the 'iron' button, it will give the selection a planar map and relax it all in one click.

try it out!
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    thanks alot man, this really helped me awsome !