Home Technical Talk

Showcasing a model in Udk or Marmoset?

Ive been using marmoset while texturing (refresh textures and view with updates from photoshop) the model look fantastic in marmoset. i finished my models textures, got it in UDK, materials all setup and it looks like garbage compared to marmoset.

I have the lod settings for the textures in unreal set to renderTarget, so their as high as they can go (i believe) and it just...looks like crap. i figured i'd use UDK to take screen grabs and post images of my work with, but it just looks so awful compared to marmoset. i'm hoping i'm just doing something wrong? i want my model in marmoset to look that good in udk.

I'm thinking i'm just going to leave udk alone to show off my models since marmoset looks so fantastic. any suggestions, advice or links that might give me some help on this i would really appreciate it.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it could be down to a number of things and posting some comparison screenshots would probably help you get some better feedback, but UDK can produce great results, you just need to spend a little more time setting things up.

Firstly, lighting. You'll need to add lights, adjust their properties etc. Maybe a 3 point light setup to start with, play with their hues etc.
    Also make sure your material is set up properly. Once you've got a basic setup of lights and a placeholder material you can save that out and use it for presentation shots just by switching out the model / material so it does become as easy and quick as getting your model in Marmoset.

As I said though, posting some shots of what you mean would likely get you better, more specific help.
  • Mypeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @creationtwentytwo

Thanks creation. its late and i'm not thinking. i did what you said, i took a screen grab from marmoset and put on my other monitor and compared in udk and it looks identical now that i see it with better lighting. if in the morning i look at this and its wrong again, ill post screen shots. but just doing a comparrison to match the look in udk with lighting really made a HUGE difference. thanks C.