Home Technical Talk

retopology setting help

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
Ok, I am trying to retopologize this model... and I can see all the lines on the other side of the model, and i can select them through the model. its kind of annoying as its easy to make mistakes and stuff

is there a way to turn this off? it was never like that in zbrush 3

gaytopology.jpg

Replies

• larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    I would like to know this too, it is very annoying.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Might work if you change your approach. Instead of drawing a zsphere and using the rigging pallete, append (subtool) a zsphere to your model and go straight to the topology pallete (edit topology).
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah Cyrid's right. there was some discussion of the workarounds on:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=92166
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I'm pretty sure you can mask the points you want to hide....although I think the hot key for creating a new point and clearing the mask is the same...something like that..its been awhile since I did this in zbrush
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point I wouldn't mess with Zbrush for retopo, I would use WrapIt, TopoGun or if you're really cheap, Max Retopo.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, max have had quite nice retopo capabilities vanilla since 2010, though it is in the hated ribbon. :P

Go under freeform and use step-build on a surface, has a nice offset roller, too!
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    thanks everyone!

I haven't tried cyrids technique yet (as I don't need to retopo yet any more), but I found another method on google;

if you go in preferences, draw... you can muck with the front and back opacity

when I retopo next I will probably try cyrids method before trying out any other programs, cus i don't think zbrush is bad at all for retopo-ing lol
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    brwnbread wrote: »
    thanks everyone!

I haven't tried cyrids technique yet (as I don't need to retopo yet any more), but I found another method on google;

if you go in preferences, draw... you can muck with the front and back opacity

when I retopo next I will probably try cyrids method before trying out any other programs, cus i don't think zbrush is bad at all for retopo-ing lol

Have you used any other software for retopo? I find myself changing between Zbrush and Topogun, I like how Topogun works however it seems to have problems with really high-poly meshes (for me at least) so if the mesh I'm working on is over 1.5 million polys I tend to use Zbrush. Zbrush tends to get wonky from time to time though and retopoing really small parts like fingers is very annoying.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    low odor wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can mask the points you want to hide....although I think the hot key for creating a new point and clearing the mask is the same...something like that..its been awhile since I did this in zbrush

Wrapit is pretty neat as you can use any modelling technique in max (including the step build and extend under freeform) and you can switch on and off a realtime surface snap/shrink wrap thingy.

Quite nifty.