Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Damaged Wooden Bridge

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So this is just one asset to a larger scene that I am working with a couple of people on, for the experience. So I am trying to move rather quickly so I can try to produce things in a good time frame. I am looking for some last little details to add or change to make this look better before I move on to unwrapping. I am also trying to decide on a "railing", the one that is just before the bridge on the right. Which do you like better, or do you have any other suggestions?
BridgeDmg.jpg

Replies

• GoodDreams
    I like it but I think the roof is a little unrealistic with the giant slanted planks of wood, I imagine it would have been covered with something at one point to protect it from the elements, so it would be cool to see little pieces left on the roof, wether it was tiles, thatch, etc.
  • Jedah
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Looks a lot like TF2 2fort bridge.
  • The Scrub
    Jedah wrote: »
    Looks a lot like TF2 2fort bridge.
    right down to the Spy creeping along the side WATCH OUT
  • Ben Apuna
    I think this bridge looks pretty good, though I'm not too familiar with this type.

It's too late now, but when you're working on assets that have a lot of repeated parts and you know you are going to overlap UVs a lot, then you might want to UV one of each type of board first and create the rest of the model with the pre-UVed parts. Saves tons of time that way.

Just mentioning for the future because you said:
    ...So I am trying to move rather quickly so I can try to produce things in a good time frame...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this bridge finished. Will you be posting the final scene up when you and your team are done with it?
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the responses!
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    ...It's too late now, but when you're working on assets that have a lot of repeated parts and you know you are going to overlap UVs a lot, then you might want to UV one of each type of board first and create the rest of the model with the pre-UVed parts. Saves tons of time that way.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this bridge finished. Will you be posting the final scene up when you and your team are done with it?

There is actually a bunch of stuff that uses symmetry on this so I will only have to unwrap maybe half of this. Yes we will be posting screens from the UDK once the other group members are ready to post their stuff.
    GoodDreams wrote:
    so it would be cool to see little pieces left on the roof

I have seen some ref of buildings that don't use a covering, but I will try out putting some remnants of a thatch roof still there to see what it looks like.
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I think this bridge looks pretty good, though I'm not too familiar with this type.

It's too late now, but when you're working on assets that have a lot of repeated parts and you know you are going to overlap UVs a lot, then you might want to UV one of each type of board first and create the rest of the model with the pre-UVed parts. Saves tons of time that way.

Depends what software he is using. Maya allows you transfer UV's between objects.
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9

Depends on the Software he is using. For example, Maya allows you to transfer UV's between objects.