Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warsoup - Weapons

thomasmahler
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

As some of you might know, I'm currently working with my small team on a fps game with rts elements named Warsoup.

You guys can try an early tech test here: http://www.warsoup.com/builds/dailyBuild.html

Or the older standAlone build: www.warsoup.com/builds/subD_11.zip (includes an early version of the 1v1 map we're planning for the vertical slice)

And here's a concept shot with the interface and stuff:

lookDev_12.jpg

We're currently designing the weaponTiers for the plasmaBuild to finally replace the blocked out models we've been using and I'm struggling a bit with the design, so I thought I'd post it here to get some good input. The whole idea is this:

Every weapon has 3 tiers, for the plasmaWeapon it's plasmaGun, plasmaRifle, plasmaCannon - and every tier has 2 upgrade paths. We want to make sure that there's a little indicator, design-wise for each and every step in the build.

plasmaCannon_02b.jpg

That was my first test, a little 'complex' in terms of forms, there's a lot going on, maybe too much for the stylized style we're going for.

plasmaCannon_02c.jpg

Next test: What if we use a disc like object for the display?

plasmaCannon_02d.jpg

Next idea: What if we actually use the disc not just for shape, but also for info? So the disc could become an indicator for health / energy by splitting that circle around the display in half and using the left side for health / right side for energy.

plasmaCannon_02e.jpg

Next step: The disc sorta sucks, so let's go back to more angular forms for the plasma and use discs / cylinders for the railgun build.

plasmaCannon_02f.jpg

Next one; What if we simplify the shapes and merge that part in the from, so that it becomes one bigger shape?

turrets04b.jpg

And this is my next idea: I'll take the turret designs that Johannes came up with and bring in some of the shapes we had there.

Could need some input on this - which version do you guys prefer, maybe some help from the weapon-maniacs here? I'm playing around with the forms but can't seem to really find the one design that just clicks right now. And the part that really increases the difficulty on this whole thing - design wise - is that there have to be 3 tiers and various upgrades that have to work with the weapon designs. So any Feedback is appreciated :)

Replies