Home Unreal Engine

Multi-sub object (Maya)?

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, Im a Maya user and Im very familar with some of the techniques that max uses although Ive never used it. I want to know is there a way to export a mesh from maya and for it to have multiple id nodes like max can. I read somewhere that if you assign different materials to the faces of the mesh that when you import it will receive those ids...is this true?

I have a mesh that has parts that need different materials like glass. Right now the only way that I know how to do that is to break the mesh up into parts based on material properties and import the seperate parts. There is a case where it isnt practical for me to export this sliding door as two meshes, its a frame and a glass.

Thanks.

Replies

• Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Yer, you just select face tool then select the faces you want to have another mat on then apply the material (not the default lambert) and then export it. UDK will pick it up as a multi-sub object and you can assign multiple materials to it.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for confirming that ill try that out when I get back to UDK. It sure will help out with the workflow.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I have been having issues making multi material meshes in maya and bringing them into UDK. When I export the mesh as an FBX file, all of the faces which correspond to certain material slots will not display that material. Sometimes it won't change any, sometimes only certain triangles will have the corresponding material. If I use actorX to export, everything works fine.

Just a heads up incase you run into that. I tried exporting with Maya 2011 & 2010 both with the 2011.3 fbx plugin.
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a bug with the latest build.

You can get around the problem by triangulating the mesh before export.

Hopefully it will be fixed for the next release.