Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dynamic Head Base Meshes

Hello all. Just posting some progress on a project a friend and I are working on.

For our game, we plan to have dynamically loading heads and hair for the various henchman and city folk walking around. One way we plan to save on data requirements is to have groups of characters (for example, big tough guys and small wimpy guys would be two different groups) use the same mesh for their heads, with each character being randomly assigned one of many pre-made shape keys.

For right now, I've been tasked with creating the base male and female head meshes, and I've just completed the male.

The idea behind some of the topology (for example, the end of the nose and chin) is that those areas can be pulled around and extended or otherwise distorted without causing hideous stretching or other common problems. Despite the base mesh being rather realistic, the game is meant to be rather cartoony in style, so we'll need the ability to make some exaggerated features in our mesh variations.

I'll post some of our results later; for now, here's the first base mesh, front and side. Despite the dodgy wire frame, there are no n-gons in this mesh. Everything is quads except for two triangles on either mouth corner, and one on either temple.

Comments are welcome, though no further changes will be made to the mesh (already started work on the variations at this point). :)

Replies