Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Chesterfield Sofa

Hello folks,

This is my first post in this section i made this chesterfield sofa a while ago for my folio and now i finished it.

i did all the work in max & photoshop :poly122:

hope you guys like it
c&c welcome :poly142:

BeatyShot's:

chesterfield_sofa_final.jpg

chesterfield_sofa_final_highpoly.jpg

Textures:

chesterfield_sofa_final_textures.jpg

WIP presentation:

chesterfield_sofa_final_complete.jpg

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Looking at the spec, I can smell that couch in my grandma's living room right now.....
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hoopla!
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    looks sweet, really nice bake.

my only problem is with the cushions, they look sqaushed down in an unnatural way. i think that seams are usually where there is most tension as there is usually a plastic cord running around the corners. those seem like they have been moved around in zbrush and that plastic cord has been removed.

Genuine-Leather-Sofa-With-Two-Cushion.jpg

SmLeatherSofa.jpg
    in these examples, the square shape is maintained and the only deformations are the smallish wrinkles that dont seem to carry thru the seam but instead are caused by the leather trying to conform to that plastic cord inside.

hope that helps, it looks great really, im being super picky. keep it up bro.
  • pepp0r
    hey guys,

thank you for your reply, yes the cushions are not my best try but this is my first sculpting experience in this field. In the acquisition i have a few problems with the zBrush -> 3DsMax Workflow. I still learned a lot in this fild. Here are a WIP from my sculpting in Zbrush.

Old.Couch.WIP_4.jpg

@Hoopla! thank you for the reference pics, next time i work more with references this is still better.

@TeriyakiStyle yes absolutely right the spec is more colder but i change it today with a new warmish color also the darkening diffuse.

@BlvdNights jokingly :poly121:
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Nice sculpt! How did you achieve the sewn down look in between the 'inflated' parts? In fact, how did you go about sculpting that whole thing? ;D
  • edoran89
    I would gladly pass out on that sofa
  • pepp0r
    @PogoP Thank you i glad you like it :poly136:

I'm not really sure what you are mean exactly but i think i show you this picture as a example

highpoly_base.JPG

on the top is the main "highpoly" mesh below this is the same mesh with a Turbosmooth modifier applied. I'm imported this in Zbrush and start with the sculpting.
  • pepp0r
    Update :poly121: i made a new Colorspec (a bit warmer) and a new Diffuse (a bit darker and a bit more desaturate)

sofa_new_maps.JPG
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think you could lose nearly 80% of those tris on the back part of the sofa and just let the normal do its work. right now where you have them popping out to break the silhouette it looks spikey and uncomfortable. if you just simplify the mesh and just have the rounded off it would look more plush i think.

you would never even see that silhouette breakup even in a 1st person shooter on a 50 inch tv. I liked the 1st render a lot better, the new one looks really blurry, while the 1st really sold the leather cracks on the seat cusions.

nice work overall man, really like your highpoly.
  • pepp0r
    @PixelMasher glad you like it, sure the silhouette is a bit spikey i'll give your idea a try when i have time to rebake it, as well as a good test and a good accord to see what can a normalmap do :-)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The couch looks way too lumpy. The seams on couches are normally pretty straight. Your couch looks deflated like 25% of the cushioning was removed.