Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Goraaz

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Saman polycounter lvl 13
Hello!
I've been working on a new portfolio;

http://www.goraaz.se/

I would appreciate some critique from you guys. Thanks!

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome portfolio, easy to use and puts art direct in your face. I dig, nothing to really to comment about. I was just wondering what kind of goals you have for this portfolio, is it to get an 3D artist position rather than a animator? If so I think you have expressed yourself corectly by making the rells at the bottom smaller so they dont distract to much attention from the game art.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you, c0ldhands. I'm a generalist but I figured that I would have the site focus on my best art. Would that be confusing though?
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    NO not directly, if you are looking to be hired as a game artist then the other stuff that is not game related just shows you have other skill assets aswell, I thought it was just suprising. You dont see many artists that do game characters and worked with 3D advertisment these days.
  • Yokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yokai polycounter lvl 11
    I don't find the demo reels at the bottom to be too distracting, nor do I find it a bad choice to feature your animation demo reels at the bottom. I like the presentation of this portfolio though!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great!

I found it odd that the troll's skirt was as shiny as the rest of him. Dirty leather has a very low specular, unless it's really greasy. Think of a cowboy's dusty boot. Same with the hair, the leg bands, and the arm bands. Even if he used egg whites to straighten the mohawk, it wouldn't be that shiny, right?

Would also be nice to use transparency in the textured troll shots at the bottom.

Why not show the texture flats? Not full-size, since you sometimes have 2048's, but at least show them at 512. Also, please avoid showing just a portion of each texture, like cutaways all combined into one image, unfortunately I see this a lot. Seeing the full sheets helps in judging the whole layout.

The physical sculptures are really nice! Unfortunately the photography of them is really bad, so I can't see them very well. Also makes it look like you don't really care about them, since they're just snapshots. Light them properly, get them in focus, and use a backdrop (hanging cloth or similar... your kitchen table/etc. distracts from the art). Also the orc is the strongest piece... put it at the top of the page!

Are you're looking for freelance, or for a studio spot? Are you willing to move? Would help to have a Statement of Purpose or somesuch at the top of your resume. If you're applying to any US studios for example, you should probably make your visa status very clear, since that would be one of the top concerns for a hiring manager.

Overall very nice work!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    @Eric: I'll change the troll and add some more texture flats on the site. I had problems using the transparency in 3ds max's viewport though. The sorting just got all wrong and it looked terrible.
    So you liked the orc the most? It was actually done as a gift to a world of warcraft loving friend of mine and I no longer have it so I can't take more pictures of it. I was actually planning on taking new photos of the other ones though.
    Thanks for the critique, very appreciated!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, most 3d apps (and game engines too) have trouble sorting transparent polygons. Some fixes here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TransparencyMap#Sorting_Problems