Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Research Facility [UDK environment]

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Hi all,

These forums has helped me a lot in the past and I have joined to ask some feedback on my current project. Tips on my modelling and style would be really helpfull.

I have been slowly making levels since unreal tournament got released in '99 and right now I'm in my graduation year; so time to step up!(no movie reference there >< ).

Update; Thanks for the tip Jedah, I tried to apply some better lighting as you guys recommended..
I also added some more detail into the room I'm working on now;

97297934.jpg

sf2f.jpg

46444854.jpg

I'm gonna start sculpting the plants/creatures I want to store in those tubes
Hopefully some more updates soon :) Any pointers are more then welcome!

Replies

• Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice!

I think the last screenshot looks a bit confusing because it has too many light sources. You could try having just a few strong light sources and smaller accent lights, that would make the path clearer to read!
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Might want to tweak the post process chain a bit, the current default ambient occlusion looks way too grainy and sucky.

And I agree with Minotaur0.
  • cdb-art
    Offline / Send Message
    cdb-art polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the first 2 screenshots, cant wait to see it textured. I agree with what was said about the final shot, other than that looking great, keep at it!
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Textures look blurry in that last screenshot. Great composition and placement though in all of them!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Lights, ur main focus should be lights.
    Put one after the turn, around the corner, as "go there" point.
    Put another strong one behind the camera, showing off some normals n details.
    Increase/decrease the walk-lights along the corridor so they create a shuffle... how to say, like dark-light-dark-light transitions, leading the viewer onwards and creating some tension. U might have to add shadows manually in-between to achieve that.

Texture/palette wise, blue-green-yellow is a logical combo. Make sure the purest (strongest) colors r reserved for the focal points and/or important stuff, like the green Med Lab sign is good. A strong(er) yellow for the recycle sign (if that's important), and perhaps less saturation in the walkway lights. The less important stuff get less "important" color.

Right now the modelling shots look much better than the textured shots.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Looking good so far, as shotgun said you should focus on the lights, it will help you a lot giving it the look that you want to archive
    Are you suing max? If you do can you tell me the unit setup your using?
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    maxivz wrote: »
    Looking good so far, as shotgun said you should focus on the lights, it will help you a lot giving it the look that you want to archive
    Are you suing max? If you do can you tell me the unit setup your using?

Topic name says "UDK" >_>
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 > Thanks! I'm going to look more into the lighting process, it is one of the many things I have to improve :)
    Xendance > The ambient occlusion is way too much, cheers will adjust that as well.
    cdb-art > Gonna start unwrapping and texturing soon!
    BlvdNights > Totally agree, gonna replace 80% of the textures, they are mostly 256 test textures atm, normals are messed up too.
    shotgun > Cheers for the feedback! I'll get right on the lighting idea, I'm sure that will work out. I'll implement ur feedback and see how it turns out, hope to steal ur mind soon when I put some new screenshots on here! I'm really hating the walkway lights atm, gonna think of something better.
    maxivz > Yea I'm using max for modelling and UDK for the scene. Default Max unit setup is the same as UDK size, atleast for me it is ;)

Thanks for all the replies all :) Keeps me motivated to work on this little project.. I'll post some more stuff tonight, but for now..back to my part time job ;(
  • Jedah
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Tip on lighting for UDK: play around with it alot. I always liked UDK's lighting system's way of real time updating and found that by messing with its flexibility you could find just the right position for your ambient lighting so that the players can see while also getting a good view of your scene. Then set lights near whatever models are meant to represent lamps for the decorative lighting.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    updates coming soon, I hope ;)
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the plant that will be on display in the center tube; this is my first zbrush model using Zspheres and I'm loving it so far :)

plantbn.jpg

I'm not really a character artist, so crits are more then welcome :)

Greets!