Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LIGHTING: Botany Lab

It's been a while since I posted any new work here. I've been using XSI at work and was starting to forget Maya. In my free time I've been working on this scene so I could learn Maya lighting better. It was modeled and textured by a friend of mine, I'm just doing the lighting. This is my first update. I still have a lot more to do like light fog, reflections, etc. Any comments on lighting are appreciated.

lighttest.png

Replies

• duxun
    could you make a better render because it's not doing this scene justice it's a very nice scene..

i see you are trying to implement lightshafts in the scene but it's covering most of the scene and it washing it out..maybe try to throw this into UDK?

good work ..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That image is from Myst isnt it? Either that or its based on one of the environments from Myst: Revelation...I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, more contrast.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    its got no apparent light source but it has light shafts which suggest a strong light coming from somewhere.
    Anyway, the image is too dark and muddy. You can keep it low key but there needs to be more light somewhere to make it interesting. As it stands right now it just looks underexposed.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hope you don't mind, with a tiny bit of photoshop magic it looks a lot better.

vQdJg.jpg

It really looks awesome, just needs to be pushed farther and exposed more.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    It's got a bioshock feel to it. I like it :)
  • rsharma
    duxun: I changed the volume lights a bit.
    ScoobyDoofus: Yes, this scene is based on one of the environments from Myst: Revelation.
    AlecMoody: I tried to fix the underexposed look.
    ZacD: Thanks for taking the time and doing that. it really helped :)
    XenoKratios; I thought so to when I first saw the scene.

Here's the update. Comments are welcome.

lab01.jpg
  • Rambo20
    This is really coming along. I'm really liking this.

The lamp in the center is very nice, I'm really digging it.

My only critque at the moment is, the volume fog, which i understand is a wip, however, i think its a little strong, and the edges look to hard.

The one question I have, is, do you have a point of interest int he scene you are trying to draw the viewers eye to? As of right now My eye is being drawn to the table, however I think the scene could be pushed a little further to focus my eye more on the table. Perhaps a small vignetting, or a darken the foreground table a little. I think when you add depth blur it will help this out as well.

Great work, keep it up, it's looking aweosme
  • StealthSilver
    Unless you are going for an underwater vibe, I would make the moon clearly visible through the window.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I thought it was underwater until I read that ^
  • rsharma
    Rambo20: I will make those changes for my next update, Thanks.
    StealthSilver: Adding a moon is a good idea, but if I make it visible in this shot it would change my shadow direction.

Any ideas as to how I can make it look like its not underwater?
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    rsharma wrote: »
    Rambo20: I will make those changes for my next update, Thanks.
    StealthSilver: Adding a moon is a good idea, but if I make it visible in this shot it would change my shadow direction.

Any ideas as to how I can make it look like its not underwater?

I'd consider experimenting with adding lights coming through the foliage outside in the back, maybe some god beams as well.
  • rsharma
    BlvdNights: That's a good idea but the background foliage is just an image. I might try adding some lanterns outside, as well as some other props.
  • natetheartist
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    looks much better, but I still think its pretty dark.

ZacD did a really nice adjust. I think you should shoot more for that.
    If not, then I definitely think you need more light inside the room itself.

Also, i feel like the plants seem really playful compared to the rest of the scene.

Nice comp btw.
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 13
    Makes me think of Monkey Island / Grim Fandango, and both are awesome. Nice to see something a bit different. I look forward to seeing how you develop this :)