Home Technical Talk

Tutorial (request) for anatomically minded shoulder topology?

Hey all,

I'm just trying to put together a base mesh for character sculpting, and treating it as a bit of a learning process rather than a quick 'bang out a base mesh asap and refine it in ZBrush'.

I'm aiming to create a solid, nicely shaped base mesh most importantly with decent topology for sculpting.

I'm having MAJOR issues trying to create the shoulder area. I know there's a bit of a debate on which shoulder topology works best for animation (ie the thread on the Wiki) but I can't for the life of me seem to get the hang of the 'anatomically correct' shoulder topology.

I can pull out the 'bendy straw' method no probs, and it looks ok, but I'd really like to be able to grasp the other method as I feel not only might it benefit sculpting, but it can add a better look to low-poly characters should I ever want to do that.

I know to most of you character guys building a base with this topology is probably second-nature, and I know I'll get to that stage eventually but I just can't figure how to build the mesh with that topology.

It's hard to explain, but it's a technical issue, I can't seem to actually create polys in the right places if you see what I mean.

I've looked at a few tuts, specifically The Swordmaster, which kinda follows the method I'm talking about but has a fair few triangles because it won't be smoothed and I'm trying to keep this one quadded. Ben Mathis' Delilah series is useful, but when it gets to the crucial bit on the shoulder it's tricky to see what he's doing and i get lost.

I've got the ref images from the Wiki link right in front of me, I've also been pestering Dreamer on MSN all day about how bad I am (he's one helpful dude for sure, and very patient :D)at this but I just cannot get it!

Does anyone have (or mind explaining) a tutorial or link to a tut that covers character creation with this specific topology method?

Many thanks!

Replies