Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK portfolio- Gargoyle Den

hey folks! Check out my garg Den UDK scene... I am still very much a beginner with everything, critics are welcome, but take it easy on me please- I am a fragile tad pole in the 3d modeler frog- pond

Replies

• konjo
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    For the love of Christ, get rid of those lilac boxes saying everything was made by you - we get it. In all honesty, they were so distracting, I didn't even finish looking at your actual work the first time around.

Overall, your scene lacks cohesion. Nothing about this scene says 'gargoyle den' to me, aside from maybe the church-type structure, which despite being the most potentially interesting thing in the scene, you've devoted very few screen shots to. The rest of the scene looks like random assets scattered across a construction site with no real thought as to their purpose. Street lamps next to boulders? A tiny Borg cube with graffiti on it? Seriously, what is it?

For such a large area, you really need to think about lighting - right now, it's very flat and uniform, no real shadows or contrast of any kind. Think about how light actually behaves, and how it can be used to draw attention to various elements of the scene - the large church is a prime example of a missed opportunity in terms of lighting.

It's great that you've tried to create something cool, but it's pretty obvious that you haven't used much, if any, reference. As a result, the scene doesn't make any sense, and lacks any sort of visual continuity. There's so many different elements to it, none of them stand out and it's all over the place.

I do like the variations in height you've included, though - even though it looks confused, it'd probably still work as a rudimentary map.

Seems like you know how to get around the editor, and how to import meshes and such, so for your next scene, gather as much reference as you possibly can, and start thinking about proper composition and lighting. As tempting as it is to just dive in and get started, the more planning you do, the better it'll look and you'll save yourself time and effort.
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    you could even go with a video, and 3 or 4 images. Some zoomed in/some zoomed out. I like the image with the church tower and the cycle of clouds above it.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    If you must label your work (it's not a bad idea in itself), please put it in the corner and shrink it by 75%.
    For such a large area, you really need to think about lighting
    This can't be stressed enough - you could probably save this level if you just improve the lighting.
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everyone- thanks for the replies.. First off i want to say- i agree that i should definitely categorize the images. 2ndly, i want to explain why i have that huge ugly Box saying by ivan in each image. When i last updated the UDK, these big ugly words appeared on my screen, and i could not figure out how to get rid of them.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=646&stc=1&d=1283220202

Big Ugly Words saying PHYSX + CPU ... does anyone know how to get rid of this? I Can also take away a bunch of point lights, and take shots with the sun decent angle
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i want to add that everything about this scene is a work in progress. Every model is an experiment, nothing is really set in stone, i want to evolve it all as i learn and progress.. There are certain obvious things wrong with it that i will change.

I really want to listen to all of you because i know you have great advice... So i will redu the lighting, and post all new images tonight, and move some stuff around. I really appreciate everything everyone says , my ears are opened i promise!

So when i post the new images up, tell me everything you hate about them and we'll go from there. THANKS A BUNCH!
  • konjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm LOL i just googled UDK PHYSX CPU and i think i found an answer!
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=149793

SOOO no more big boxes saying BY IVAN. THANK GOD i hated them too trust me!

And i know 30 images in a row is ridiculous,, i was going to organize it all as soon as i get a chance, ive been super busy all day. Anway. good day to you all