• Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good dude :D nice work,
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, Ryan! I've been out of town and totally missed this thread. That shader video rocks my world.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks guys :D

Luke - I am confident that the techniques and workflow you'll learn in the DVD will get you going in the right direction. I don't really go into any advanced vector math like i've been doing in recent materials like the up-vector blending one, but for blending normals together, sure... that's not too difficult once you know the methodology for making those kinds of shaders.

Chris - Thanks man! How's Denver? I'm coming back sometime in the next 2 months. I'll let yo know when i'm in town, we can grab a beer at the funky buddha.

tyl3r- i'll get some wires in my next update.

The project is going on the backburner for a bit while i work with Adam on the beat-em up challenge. There's alot of awesome competitors who are very talented, so this will be alot of fun!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured i'd get this thread started up again. Been super busy with work and a new UDK Materials DVD in the pipe.

I'm starting to experiment with some color so i threw some onto the pillars. I'm in the process of doing some more BSP materials to get some variation. Hopefully i'll have the floor and some trim fleshed out within the next couple of weeks.

ThePitWIP.jpg
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow so cool, wish i could afford that video :-( Who are you making the udk material dvd with?
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is very cool stuff ...

i want to get as good as you ...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    imho the light coming in at an angle helps it a lot already, distinguishing one side from the other really nicely. I assume youll have some hanging chains or shit like that?
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Your bricks kick ass Virtuosic!
  • Huntard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huntard polycounter lvl 12
    I really excited to watch this progress! Great Work!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the kind words guys :D

nick - i'll be making the DVD with 3D Motive again, but we are selling it for like 15-20 this time because the content is going to be heavily condensed, and only about 1:30 long.

Harry - yes, i'll be having some chains or some shit like that hanging down.

More updates to come as soon as i get around to it.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oy!

More stuff.

I textured my FloorA material. All the colors are still work in progress.

Damaged%20Floor%20Tiles.jpg

This is the sculpt of the damaged state of the tiles. The clean state is the same, minus the entropy.

Here are the colors

T_FloorA_d.jpgT_FloorADamaged_d.jpg

And some magnificent new screens with updated lighting.

thepit-1121_1.jpg

thepit-1121_2.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I've been in a productivity mode all day. Here's some more updates.

Finished the Arch.

thepit-1121_4.jpg

And some more angles of the scene.

thepit-1121_e.jpg

thepit-1121_5.jpg

I'll stop posting such minute updates for now. Next time will be big, with some new assets and some more HighPoly sculpts or WIPs.

cheers!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Virtuosic wrote: »

I'll stop posting such minute updates for now. Next time will be big, with some new assets and some more HighPoly sculpts or WIPs.

cheers!

No! Don't stop that! Everything you post is intensely interesting and inspiring! Especially the parts where you post your Shader Set Ups. Your use of Rimlighting is really great! Is inspiring me for my current scene!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't really like that the sand and painted tiles/columns are the same color, doesn't read well.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The sand isn't really laying the way I would expect it to in a circular arena like that. It seems more wind swept, like out in the open, or in a narrow hallway. And like ZacD pointed out, the colors don't read too well as they are now.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Zac you're absolutely right on that one. I'm going to have to make the floor a different dominant color. I'll also have to make the sand a different color as well. It's too similar to the color of the stone which kind of sucks. Very nice catch though, i didn't really think it was too big of an issue.

I love you guys :D keep up the comments and critiques!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    God so much potential here. I'd love to see you make a video where you do this stuff in real time in a game somehow. Maybe a blood splat shader for when a player dies, show a nice clean white room get splattered in blood during a deathmatch. It's just so awesome to see in realtime, the real magic is in watching the change happen in real time, which we only really get to see as artists.

Come to think of it, and i know this is your project, but just an idea. In the polycount colab forum, we've got a bunch of guys figuring out a good colab project to work on (some people with ties to game designers), maybe you could get something going where everyone works on a dynamic arena that changes dynamically depending on how the battle is being fought, with some really nice dynamic shaders that work in real time.

It'd kinda be like dust:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8nABQLSfmU[/ame]

But instead of a god game, the amazing shaders would change through combat, flamethrowers, bio guns, rocket launchers... you could add a sand gun.

Dunno just talking outta my ass kinda but thiere's definitely lots of potential for awesome here, really great material work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Crazyfingers, you got some crazy cool ideas, a "white room" project would be fun.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update

Crazyfingers - That's entirely possible. You'd need to create a gun that detected collision with verticies, and on that collision it would have to change the vertex color in real time. IT would take some scripting but i think it's possible.

Here's a quick update. I changed the floor tiles to a color that doesn't make the sand blend in so much. Also keep in mind that the sand is temporary for now. It will be replaced by an original sand material created by myself (Right now it's epic's).

thepit-1124_1.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Nice stuff Virtuosic. I think right now the scene is too orange though this might be quick and dirty lighting and probably critting this too early. Though I think some hints of blue would look sweet.

Sad I didnt see you at Digital Extremes booth at DIG. Was there thursday with college people. Was bugging people there about shaders and tech art. Though the lead character artist gave me some few tips. Looking forward to the next dvd :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm completely speechless at the level of awesome being shown.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    This is lookin great dude. Not a big fan of the colours though, looks a bit too happy for a prison :). You should also do something about the sand texture, it'n not a beach...
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    i love all of this its just beautiful, the arch way in particular!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    epic stuff :poly142: !

I know it's still heavy wip but 2 little notes :

I like the background idea but I do not feel this pit like a "magic cell" at the moment. I'd suspect something more.. magic ? :poly124:

Your pit looks deteriorated only by time and not a pit "after a mass breakout [...] that clearly indicates that someone extremely powerful was able to break out"

Otherwise, I think it's perfect but a little too orange.

keep it up !
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Really love the color choices as it looks very middle eastern ("allah!!!" had to do it :P)

The only critique i would have is to give the textures for the materials a little bit more detail as it just looks you have colors applied to an AO and Normal Map.

Keep it up man.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful art and technical mastery, lovely!
    I love to see a tutorial on how you set that shader up from start to finish, for the walls, looks extremely useful!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    you're bringing sexy back, eh? :)

great progress!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    This room could work perfectly as a prison temple for a desert god, sealed in the floor with a cool round http://www.goddesschess.com/graphics/Yelang_seal.jpg (but more islamic/persian/sgyprian desert design) seal in the centre to keep him there forever untill someone breaks the seal
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    One issue I have with your brick work is that they look like they are melting in that hot sun. Maybe the spec and the wavy edges are doing that?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hai guys,

Thanks for the comments and critiques, it's a great help! Don't worry, i'm going to be breaking up the orange colors much more as i add in other props and decorations. I'm aware that it looks nothing like a prison break out, but all that detail will get added in later.

Habboi - They are actually chocolate bricks, which would explain the melting. :-P
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is shaping up nicely :)
    looking forward to the next udpate :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this stuff is looking really great. :D ive just started to get into mesh paint and im definitely gona give some of these techniques a shot. i just purchased your dvd (for the $50 price 2 days ago and now i see its discounted to 36. XD ). nonetheless im gonna hop right into it and try to figure out some of this to use for some environments in my upcoming demo reel for my portfolio classes.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram - Thanks for your support! I really hope you like the DVD. The video should give you a pretty good basis for how to achieve the soft surface blend. If you experiment more with it, it's not too difficult to figure out a way to blend the entropy shader with the soft surface one. It just takes careful pre-planning in regards to your texture maps.

if you have any questions let me know.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh I was looking at random YouTube videos and came across some UDK stuff when I finally found one video that looked familiar. It was The Pit and something I hadn't seen before where you show blending of the floor.

Seems I can't escape your awesome vids :D
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Very impressive.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys :D

Here I am again burning the midnight oil.

This time i have finally gotten around to adding in some post process and color to the floor. Included in post is sobel-edge detection tweaked render the color of the mesh instead of just straight black... that way you get some edges that have a bit of character, rather than the straight cell shade look.

New floor has a standard Hard Surface to Soft Surface Vertex Blend for some quick variation.

mB37H.jpg

q1WKg.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mario,

The up vector blending stuff won't be found in the vertex blending DVD, but we have plans to do some more advanced material stuff later on this year, and i'm sure that will be included in it.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Reminds me of
    dalaran_arena.jpg

But 10x cooler :) great work so far! following this one for sure:p
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It looks great but the latest revision seems to have lost some of the bounce light that looked really nice in the earlier images. Maybe its just that the middle area isn't white anymore so less light is bouncing but it would be cool if you could find a way to get that look back.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey ryan,

in this post here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1204374&postcount=11

you have your AO in the RGB channels. now that you actually have a diffuse on the bricks for that part, did you just multiply that texture sample with the AO by a base diffuse for the bricks overall? or do you have 3 separate diffuses for each stage of damage to the bricks?
  • surfojaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool job! Congrats! i bought all the tutorials in 3dmotive.com pretty cool tutorials! when can we get more of this amazings tutorials?
  • Maxim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see how you modeled that arch. Oh and is that a simple bsp brush that intersecting the arch for the brick texture?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright heathens,

I haven't gotten the chance to work on this stuff since I recently uprooted my life and moved to Dallas, but now that i'm all settled in I've been getting my daily dose of environment modeling done.

Here's some updates.

RadialStairsandPillars.jpg

thepit-2811_1.JPG

thepit-2811_2.JPG

Next step is to make a statue that i can pose differently for the center part. Now, i'm not a character artist, so don't bust my balls too much, but i'm making some progress on it.

CharacterWIP2.JPG

Stay tuned
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    great models. I can see ur using a custom post processing material. Could you post it plz?
    plz plz plz plz plz plz!!!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin great. cant wait to see this finished. one thing that im kinda bothered by however is the outlines from the post process...not that it looks bad, just that it seems to get filtered out in some areas. any insight on how you achieved this? i was working on one a while back and basically came to a stopping point with it.. would love to know how u got the color detection
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Your process and shader work is inspirational, will definitely be referring back to this post for shader info.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    sexy stuff so far :)
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

To get the edge detection, i used this setup here: http://polycube.blogspot.com/2010/03/udk-edge-detection-shader.html

To get the outlines to be colored instead of black, i used the resulting edge detection output (the black and white bit) as an alpha mask when lerping my regular scenetexture with a scenetexture that was multiplied by like .1 or something like that. That way the outline isn't completely black, it just inherits the scene color where the line should be and multiplies that color by .1
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

To get the edge detection, i used this setup here: http://polycube.blogspot.com/2010/03/udk-edge-detection-shader.html

To get the outlines to be colored instead of black, i used the resulting edge detection output (the black and white bit) as an alpha mask when lerping my regular scenetexture with a scenetexture that was multiplied by like .1 or something like that. That way the outline isn't completely black, it just inherits the scene color where the line should be and multiplies that color by .1

Thats a nifty trick.