Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

iDough what should be next

Hello guys,
As you will see I'm not very good artist :D But I like CG maybe a lot more on the technical side. Here is what I have been working on for a few months...

idough_02_big.jpg

Well I din't work on the sculpture for months. It's the program I spend all my time on. It is running on iPad... It was quite hard to get it to work good with 85K triangles, but I'm happy with the result.

Here is also a video of me playing with it: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-wT3_iVuc[/ame]

I'm been thinking to work on some 3D animation program probably on iPad again.

What do you guys think will be cool on iPad?

Thank you!

Replies

• felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, I'd love to have an iPad to try this out. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty cool! Can you export/import from it? Does it sub-divide?

I imagine it wouldn't be all that useful for production but it might be helpful just to block out some rough ideas and have fun! Looks really cool thanks for sharing!
  • naleksiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »

It can e-mail the sculpture as OBJ.
    No you can't subdivide. It is pre-tessellated as much as iPad can handle.

And thank you guys!
  • naleksiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thank you guys!
    Vig wrote: »

It can e-mail the sculpture as OBJ file.
    Can't do sub-division. The mesh is pre-tessellated to maximum that iPad can handle.

P.S. I'm posting this second time. Excuse me if both messages appear later.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Wow I didn't know anything like that existed on the ipad. I'll have to check it out for my on the go modeling addiction :D
  • dermaeher88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff. This is actually the first app I've seen for the ipad that i even bothered to watch a video of for more than 15 seconds. love it!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Cool looking app.

I'll see if i can convince some guys at work to get it one one of our work ipads. First thing that i would like to see just looking at screenshots is the ability to change the color of the shader, and the specular value.

Also a selection of basemeshes would probably increase the usability.

Say a human basemesh, a quadroped basemesh ect. (you might need to collab with an artist for this).
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Thats a awesome app, now if i was mac or i had the money to throw around a Ipad, i would totally get that app.

Just a thought thou, i think you should have the option to sub divide to the actual limit of what the i pad could handle, not just have it pre-subdivided (if you will) to the max off the hop.
  • naleksiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone that said something good. It means a lot to hear from artists something good for a work like this.
    Muzz wrote: »
    First thing that i would like to see just looking at screenshots is the ability to change the color of the shader, and the specular value.

Also a selection of basemeshes would probably increase the usability.

Say a human basemesh, a quadroped basemesh ect. (you might need to collab with an artist for this).

The base mesh is good idea. If you take a look at the beginning of the video I started from a very basic head model that I created, then I cloned it and started from that basic model but I also head a copy that I can sways go back to or make more copies of.

The color is something that a coworker of mine have been telling me every time I showed it to him. It become a joke. Now the saing is that people like the app despite the lack of color and material control.
  • naleksiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a awesome app, now if i was mac or i had the money to throw around a Ipad, i would totally get that app.

Just a thought thou, i think you should have the option to sub divide to the actual limit of what the i pad could handle, not just have it pre-subdivided (if you will) to the max off the hop.

Well the other reason I made it this way was too keep the spirit of iPad by making it easy to you. It will be hard to do partial selection using fingers you can't click an exact face. Maybe using brush for selecting and then subdivide... Don't know. I though when designing it that this is going to be best.
  • SnarleyWhisper
    Not sure if this thread is dead or not but I've been having lots of fun making stuff in iDough! It's one of the few apps that can make the iPad actually productive. I've been using some other 3d modeling apps like iSculptorHD, but iDough it my favorite so far. I had two suggestions after playing with it for a few days:

If there was a way to import a model, or start off with a primitive besides a sphere. For instance if I could buy a stock .obj face 3d model and then load it in, I could focus on customizing it instead of building the base shape.

As I get modeling sometimes I add too much detail at first, if there was a a way to remove points or faces if they normals get flipped, and start to get buggy. This normally only happens when I approach what I assume is the triangle limit.

Again thanks for the awesome app! I love modeling on trains and airplanes with iDough.