Home Technical Talk

Cloth Modifier to Biped

I got this dragon here ready to be skinned (3ds max)...

dragonwithbones.jpg

i want to add a cloth modifier to the webbing of the wings

wingwebbing.jpg

i search in google and i have failed to find anything helpful to my cause ... any suggestions?

Replies

• RawRanator
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, nevermind ... doesn't move with the biped ... still need help
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my limited cloth experience what you want to do:

-add your skin do your skinning
    -(I then created a really quick animation rotating the bones from 0 - 100)
    -Add your cloth ontop of the skinning
    -add the cloth in the object properties as cloth
    -under the Cloths GROUP make a group (select all the vertices) that you want to respect the skinning underneath it, and hit 'preserve'
    -now hit simulate

It will run its magic and it should respect your skinning where the preserved verts are. :)
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall try this. Thank you
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread might be of some help to you also. It covers the method Neavah outlined in greater detail as well as converting that over to a bone based rig. Basically using cloth to drive bones.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66993

You might also want to play around with the Flex modifier it goes this kind of thing pretty well too but doesn't require simulations.

You might want to check out spring controllers also, talked briefly in the above thread. It can be really helpful being able to get bones back into a root position and keep them there.

Personally I would do a hybrid system of bones and a cloth sim with controls to blend your final rig between the systems using position constraints.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    I recently noticed that it's not possible to add Cloth to a limited part of a model, but you have to use it on the entire mesh... I'll suggest you to use the Flex modifier togheter with Gravity.

But, if your model needs to be used in a game, then follow the link posted by Vig, it's better to use bones in this case. ;)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    I recently noticed that it's not possible to add Cloth to a limited part of a model, but you have to use it on the entire mesh... I'll suggest you to use the Flex modifier togheter with Gravity.

Not the case. add the cloth, create a group you dont want to be simulated and then set it to preserve. It will only simulate the un preserved areas.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Not the case. add the cloth, create a group you dont want to be simulated and then set it to preserve. It will only simulate the un preserved areas.
    I tried it some days ago but it didn't work correctly... I suppose I did something wrong.

In every case, unless the game enigine is capable of reading the Cloth modifier directly from 3DS models, applying Cloth is useless.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    You can also turn on soft select so it smoothly transitions from cloth to rigid.
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    I tried it some days ago but it didn't work correctly... I suppose I did something wrong.
    You might of made some changes to the group and not clicked "change group", the changes won't take effect until you do.

Rethinking it, for something so simple as dragon webbing you could probably just get away with a few extra bones for the webbing and hand animate them, or use spring controllers. The hybrid system I talked about is probably something more suited for a cape or something a bit more problematic.

Also, PuppetShop and CAT have some fantastic dragon rigs and are a little more animator friendly.
  • SteveyConlan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read this quite a bit ago I don't know if it is what you are looking for but interesting nontheless.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4383/the_secrets_of_cloth_simulation_in_.php