Home Technical Talk

Split UVs?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
Alright, I've already used the search, but from what I've read no one has actually explained HOW to split your UVs, I could just be an idiot, but I would like some help on the matter. I have a model, and I unwrapped it, baked it, and I have the black lines of death, and many people have said a solution would be to split the UVs, but I have no idea how to do that, if anyone could tell me thatd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Will

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What application are you using? 3ds Max?

If so, what you might want to do is move any UV sections which are overlapping each other (eg. mirrored parts or duplicated pieces), move those off by 1 UV unit (so they're outside the main square therefore will be skipped by the baking process).

Hard to be sure though, given that your description isn't very clear and you don't have any screenshots.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright sorry, I'm using 3ds max, and here are my UVs uvshow.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And heres the model with the normal map applied
    benchines.jpg

And heres the normalmap,
    normalshow.jpg

Basically, I know what I need to do, I need to split the UVs, I just dont know how
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You mean just selecting something in the UV Editor and go to Tools > Break ?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow really, so basically I would just select the edge I'm having the black lining and do that?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Splitting the uvs means the uvs need to be separated. You would split the uvs into 2 separate shells, and move them a few pixels apart so that there is a gap between them. I'm sure you know how to separate a uv shells since you've laid out the uvs, you can break the uvs or map them separately in order to split them. They just need to be separate shells instead of one combined piece. If you have a hardened edge/normal, the uv's need to be split because if you have a hard edge, there are two normal directions, so there need to be two separate pixels specifying direction. If the uvs aren't split, there can only be 1 pixel, so it can't make an accurate bake.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I broke the UVs like you guys suggested, but the lines just got smaller, any other possible solutions?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Screenshots of the low (no normal map), your UVs, your normal map, a shot of your low poly WITH normals showing....etc....pretend we can't look at your screen.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Seeing what your high poly looks like would help too.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Put more padding ? Looks like there isn't much on the normal map.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I see, it's the classic "break the UVs along the hard edges" issue again.

You not only have to break the UVs there, you also have to move them away from each other a bit to prevent mip-mapping causing the visible seam to come back.

However, you might be better off first trying to change your smoothing groups so that you don't have to split the UVs in the first place.
    The only reason you're having to split them here is because there are so many smoothing group changes.