Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first scene

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So here is a scene I have been working for the past little bit. It is based off a piece of Fable 2 concept. I am pretty much done with it at this point because this is about the limit of my current skill set. I would like to push this scene a bit further to make it better before I decide what my next project is. So let me know what you think and how I might improve on this! *Edit* I am a tard and used the wrong link =pFinalComp.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It helps to post images =P
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Give him a moment or five, trying to help him
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Lighting looks OK to start with, overall looks a little yellowish in palette choice and there's really not much in the scene that draws the viewer's eye. Wish there's something like a vendor, caravan or something in the center.
  • scaryhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loose the whole structure in the wall. You gotta define those edges :D because you have to think, if that building has been there as long as the bridge, there will be some dirty build up and what not on the wood and on the stone. Your on a good path that is for sure, you have what could be a GOOD piece, you just have to push it that much further. My only issue with it is it looks too flat as of now. Add some depth

GOOD WORK THUS FAR, keep it up
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like you have pasted in the background pic, I can see the grey outline from foreground pic.
    And the lighting doesnt fit with the BG at all. You should add dark blue shadow instead of black shadows. It doesnt look realistic at all, it looks like a default software render.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pilang - I will play with the lighting more. And I was trying to stick with the concept (which I will post soon, was late last night, and to early now) that is why there isn't much else in the scene. But I guess I could consider adddng something else.

@vofff - It is a picture, because honestly I am not really sure what else to do with it. I would like to use a matte, but I lack the 2d skill to create my own and I don't want to use someone elses. And it isn't default render, but I would definitely say that rendering and lighting aren't my strong points.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I played with the lighting and shadows a bit, this any better, have tips to help me improve it?

@scaryhands - I have the stone on the wall tiled so I am not really sure how to go about adding specific grunge to parts of it. I tried using vertex painting but I can't seem to get the desired effect. It seems to just wipe out all of my rock detail. (And before you ask I did use the blending modes that it has available :))Comp1.png

Here is the concept as well. I decided to go for a more realistic feel then is portrayed here. Let me know what you think or ways I can make this better!

art-slums.jpg
  • scaryhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its actually rather easy to add a little detail. Think of stickers or decals. you can make the same thing in 3D. all you have to do is take a couple plans of different sizes and make a tpage with any number of different decals you want. In photoshop, create the type of grunge/dirt maps you want with the respectful alpha, spec etc for each one. NOW!!! when in the program you used, place the plans directly on top of the polys where you want it. if done in max, match it up to be flush with the existing wall polys then add a PUSH modifier and bring it away from the wall JUST slightly. decal grunge for tiled materials :D
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @scaryhands - I actually thought about that but I though it might be cheating...or possibly unacceptable as far as game modeling goes. But I can definitely be able to do that tanks!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to tell you that I have modelled a scene from this exact concept, but I never did anything with it. Great to see someone did!
  • scaryhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @scaryhands - I actually thought about that but I though it might be cheating...or possibly unacceptable as far as game modeling goes. But I can definitely be able to do that tanks!

http://www.mrbluesummers.com/tag/decals/
    if you havent run across this guy, he does awesome EASY to follow tutorials.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is the last update for the scene. I know this can be much better then it is but I am quite happy with it. I have decided to move on. Any last crits or comments will be helpful so I can take them with me on my next project.Final.png