Home Technical Talk

Max cut tool - not behaving

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Godo polycounter lvl 12
I'm having issues with the cut tool being very inconsistent. Let me preface that it works great in perspective mode - just where I DON'T need it. I'm trying to get it to snap to vertices in ortho. Now sometimes I can pop over to persp, do some cuts, back up, go to ortho and it will work fine.

All I want to do is make some cuts in a plane and it's being a little turd about it. If I start from a vertex on the plane and try to snap to my projected shape it makes these weird random cuts all the way across the plane. If I just go straight to the shape and try to cut it won't make the cuts.

I've tried resetting the scale, Xforms, messed with snap settings.... GRRR....

Replies

• MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep.... the cut tool never works right... if you work in USER view it MIGHT work better than in Perspective, but overall it sucks. They need to fix it, but prob. never will...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    just let it do messy cuts and clean it up afterwards. I always use a combination of cut tool, quick slice and slice planes. Just like drawing, you start rough and refine.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its a little more predictable in edge mode and less so in vert mode.

The weird random cut is an attempt to force edges not to fold back in on themselves. It will often refine that cut as you keep going.

If you're tracing a shape, it's probably better to draw out a closed spline and convert it over to edit poly instead of hacking a plane to bits.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Here's some cut tool action :
    http://vimeo.com/11801399

It's mostly on flat planes, but it might give you ideas on how to use the tool differently maybe ? I find it pretty efficient myself, once you get used to it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Generally ive found it best in perspective mode, if it goes funny which is very rare for me i just tumble the view and it works fine.
    If your using cut its a good idea to use vertex snapping to keep things clean
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys. Like I said, it's been very *inconsistent*. Which is not to say that it NEVER works, but seems like it will work sometimes and not others. :shrug:

I will try it more in edge mode and see if that makes a difference.

That video was really interesting Pior! I subscribed to your channel. :)
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    fwiw it's almost never works for me in perspective mode... I hardly even bother trying that anymore...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I love the cut tools in Max. using them in combo with each other + a little clean up if need be works great.

Only ever use the cut tool itself in perspective view. And generally the only problem/annoyance I get is when I cut from one vert to another and it is so super slightly off so it puts 2 verts there. Dosnt happen as much with snap on but it still sometimes.