Home Technical Talk

[Maya 2009] Multi Layered texture workflow?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
Hi!

I am playing with the multi-layered texture node under Maya to paint a level with lot of different texture files.

I first tried with vertex color and layered texture, it allows me to apply a first texture to the object (example : earth texture) and then to paint over a second layer another texture (example : grass texture). I use the alpha channel for that.
This method works well since I can paint in realtime the grass texture from the viewport getting a preview on my 3D object.

Problem with this method is I cannot work with more than 2 textures...

Second, I played with the layered texture node applying an alpha texture to each of the layer. (uvs set connection to the right texture file, etc...)
With this method I can work with no limit of layer.

Problem with this method is I cannot get a preview of my object + layered texture in the viewport and I have to do render after each brush to watch the result...

I do not understand why because the method using layered texture with a lightmap can be preview in the viewport but not the method with alpha...

Then!!

Does someone know a good workflow under Maya to work a background painting texture as multi texturing method?
This is for game use and the in-game shader can be done depending of the maya's worflow...

Thanks guy!!

Replies