Home Technical Talk

A few pointers for a newcomer

hi guys, I just registered on the forum but I've been a long time lurker.
I'm Leo from Switzerland btw ;)

I browsed about the forum trying to find information for someone like me who barely ever touched any 3d application but was not really lucky.
Just so you have a quick feel for my knowledge of the domain the only thing I ever tried doing in 3d was my DJ console furniture I wanted to make, I used Sketchup for that and I failed miserably. Also I'm completely inept at drawing anything that doesn't resemble stick figures and my knowledge in photoshop is not that great either.

I'm basically a programmer (I develop apps during my day job) looking to get a bit of 3d fun but with no experience at all.

Therefore I have a few questions:

• First of all, should I even try? Modelling seems a bit daunting since I have really no knowledge in anything it requires to do correctly but at the same time it looks really fun and interesting.
  • What would be the best 3d app to start with ? Maya? 3DS Max? I have really no clue where to start
  • Any REALLY basic tutorials about to get me started, something someone could take on while having never touched any of these apps.
I hope you guys won't laugh at me! I'd really like to get started.

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    First of all, should I even try? Modelling seems a bit daunting since I have really no knowledge in anything it requires to do correctly but at the same time it looks really fun and interesting.

Everyone has to start out somewhere, it may look daunting at first, but so does programming to me. :) Once you get accustomed to basics of 3D, you'll see its really easy to get started and you'll be modeling in notime.
    What would be the best 3d app to start with ? Maya? 3DS Max? I have really no clue where to start
    If your a student, Autodesk practically gives away their software for non-commercial use. http://students.autodesk.com/

Id suggest you start with 3ds Max as it's generally a better polygon modeler than Maya and you'll have less WTF moments, than working in Maya.
    XSI is also a good modeler, just isn't as popular as Max and Maya.

Theres also smaller program like Silo, Modo and Lightwave that are also used, just not as prominent as Max and Maya.

Id suggest you download the trials from their respective websites and see which one you can get the hang of quickest.
    Any REALLY basic tutorials about to get me started, something someone could take on while having never touched any of these apps.

Digital Tutors covers a lot of the really basic stuff like the UI, and 'Whats a polygon made up of.' Then theres places like Gnomon that have more advanced DVD's for when your better acquainted with your chosen software. Eat3D and 3DMotive also offer superb DVD's that are more games related.

Theres also plenty of free stuff available on the net, just by doing a search in google will reveal alot of tutorials. CGTUT's offers some decent free training.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Yes, you should try. You might find it's the most fun you've ever had in front of a computer. Then again you might hate it and pull your hair out over the simplest tasks. You won't know until you try.

2. Short answer: it doesn't matter. Long answer: it reaaaaaalllllyyy doesn't matter. Just pick something and work with it. You can get free trials of some commercial apps, or there are several inexpensive/free apps you can look into, most notably Blender. Check out http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTools for a lot of in depth information.

3. Start with the help/tutorials that come with your program. They'll get you familiar with the process and how the program works. Then take a look at the Awesome Polycount Wiki. http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryModeling would be a good place to start. Then when you get stuck, post on the forums here (preferably with pictures) and you'll be led by the nose in the right direction.
  • SteveyConlan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think all I need to say for the first question is if you want to try 3D model, try. It takes time but just looking at it and thinking it is too hard is the wrong way to go about anything, everyone has to start somewhere and you've got the advantage of a forum with thousands of answers, and if a question hasn't been answered then ask and I'm sure you'll get a reply.

I don't think there is really a best app, it depends mainly on your situation. If you have no funds at first then I would recommend Blender (what I started using) or there is Milkshake 3D which I haven't used but I have read about.

If you want to spend some money Maya and Max in my opinion are equally as good but you will hear mixed opinions from everyone. I think that if you are going to be solely rendering and not producing assets for games then it would probably be safer to use Maya as the standard Max renderer isn't as good as the Maya Renderer without purchasing another such as Vray, again this still opinion.

As for tutorials just google, maya or max tutorials, and there is a tonne of them. You might want to start on something simple such as a dice...

http://www.maxbasics.com/modeling-tutorials/simple-models/dotted-dice

This probably isn't the most efficient way but it will run you through the basics.

As for your lack of ability to draw, it isn't essential, there is plenty of reference on google, the least you might have to do is outline certain images for a plan.

Best of luck I hope I have helped in some way and on a leaving note, just because the first thing you decide to model looks 'crap' (this I can almost guarantee) don't stop, just be critical, see what is wrong with it and make sure you correct it next time and don't rush.
  • GoodAsNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyy,

something i thought before i even tried any 3d app was what i wanted to do with it. I wanted to do creature design soo I mainly searched tuts for organic modeling.

It's good to figure what area you want to focus early on so you wont get lost. big 3d apps like Maya and 3dmax got so many purposes and crazy amount of tools.

Everybody say gnomon got so pro tuts but theres many introduction packages aswell which are great. for example the introduction to maya. It's a great overview of the prog.

I love your comment
    ...and you'll have less WTF moments..

I know so many ppl i've tried to teach the basics that just gave up after few of those WTF:s.

Maya was my first prog and i havent even tried others except some sculpting, texturing and compositing apps.