Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spacechick wip

NBLM
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
NBLM polycounter lvl 13
Hi, i am fairly new to character modelling, so i decided to do this joan of arc tutorial. I know its pretty old but it was a good start and instead of going for the medieval look, i will follow my own ideas and make a futuristic version of joan.

This is the style i want to achieve:
Space_chick018.png

And here is what i have so far:
frontcr.jpg
backqp.jpg

I am working on the boots atm and then i will model the ray gun.
C&C appreciated

Thanks.

--
What i have forgot to say is that it will be a cartoonish character.

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far, it looks like you've got a decent handle on shape. I would revisit your head proportions right out the gate, as with the head you're looking closer to hitting a bug-eyed green alien gal than your reference picture you've posted.

Without wireframes posted, it's difficult to tell much else, it looks like you might have something funky going on in the armpit that could really play hell with your deformations.

You might also want to check out some of the body proportions. She's got a rather large posterior for someone who looks like they have an extremely low BMI. I know the tutorial has similar proportions, but frankly, it's bordering on anorexic.

Keep chugging away at it. You've got what looks like a really solid form, with some really nice detail in her back, and if you can keep up the subtle detail, you should have a really nice model in the end.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Hollander

The head and the body are from that tutorial. The head looks
    indeed a bit weird, but I have no experience in this category so I cannot imagine
    how it will look like in the end. I really don't want a bug eyed alien spacechick,
    i want her face to look like this(not a copy but with this human cartoonish touch) : maybe i should redo the eyes.
    20080202_ahsoka.jpg

Here are the wireframes:
    charwire.jpg
    I think my controlmesh is not animation friendly,but I want to retopology the whole model in the end. I know that would be wasted time because I could tweak the lowpoly I already have, but I'm curious to try out this retopo script I found for max.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your poly flow is pretty solid, just a couple of things to address.
    There's an edgeloop that should be running from underneath the breast to the bottom of the deltoid muscle, this will make sure the chest and arm deforms properly. The edgeflow you have currently isn't bad per se, but may deform in unexpected ways.

See if you can find some muscle charts to pull edge flow reference from for the body, I've posted a url of my favorite one I've found.

You've also got a few 5-sideds in the crotch area that should be addressed, but the edge flow there seems pretty good otherwise.

Your face proportions look pretty close to that character, I think it's more the forehead area that's throwing it off, and adding in the extra detail on the head will probably also make it look a lot different.

Beyond that, everything is looking really solid, and I was impressed with the construction of the face and hands. Keep up the good work!
    charwirecommentcopy.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/nam_redips/Frohsemuscleman.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Give us a real side-view, I get the feeling that her butt looks weird from the side. The arching back might be a problem as well, but keep going! I also did this tutorial a long time ago when I first started out.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys!

I am working on the raygun atm. (WIP)

gunf.jpg
    I will add some engravings (stars, planets, aliens etc.) near the button to give it more appeal, it looks kinda boring atm. And then i will go for those edgeloops, thanks Hollander!

Ohh and yes I think I must change the holster to fit this gun. ;)
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Update:

I finished the gun so far. But without star engravings, therefor a
    fancy retro pattern.
    gun2.jpg
    For the helmet or space dive bell .. whatever .. I dont know if i should do it
    two or one sided, what will look better ? I never worked with transparencies before.
    hp2x.jpg
    The hair is not final. I just played around to get a feel for it.

Sideview:
    80657234.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi man, a few critics from me regarding the proportion. First, the lower leg is too much curved to the front making her looks unbalance from the side. You can draw the vertical line from her back bone (approx her center of gravity) to the ground and currently the line fall behind her ankle. Second, still from side view, I don't know if you purposely did that or not but her hips too much curved backward. Hope it help you develop her further!

_Revel
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    did a speedy overpaint for you

overpaintgirl.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah i like what Raven did. She needs more thickness, her head makes her look like an alien lol