Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]

Hey guys, I've gotten an email from a game company and was told the quality of my portfolio varied in quality. Its time for a cull. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinisterUrge,

The Game comp is quite correct.

The Spy face, Caesar, Benjamin guy to the left of the Caesar and the Taz need to be removed (the taz can run into copyright issues I'd remove it unless it was made for a game, and if so State what project it was for).

To be honest (and I'm sorry if this makes me come off as a jerk) the only pieces that seem to be acceptable are the Dinosaur, Inn, truck, and boats. Even these seem to be WIPs and should be finished (If the dinosaur is a sculpt only and not suppose to be made into a game ready asset, then don't worry about that).

Lastly and most importantly when I clicked on your images some were as big as my screen and some were so small I could not look at the detail. This is a big problem because if future employers can not get a good look at your work how can they properly gauge you.

When you are posting stuff to your portfolio site, remember (And I can not stress this enough to you) that employers do not remember you for your best piece of work, but your worst.

Hope this help you and I hope that I did not seem to harsh.
  • mparis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killaball wrote: »
    SinisterUrge,

...employers do not remember you for your best piece of work, but your worst.

QFT
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Another thing that I noticed is that your portfolio is all over the place. You have characters, vehicles and environment pieces. Typically, what I am told, is that you want to focus in one area so that the places that are looking at your portfolio know what kind of job you are good at and looking for.

And I will echo what mparis quoted...

Potential employers will remember your worst piece of work.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Everything seems half finished....You should have at least 5-6 pieces of finished pieces of art in one category, for example environments or characters.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    your sculpts lack dimension, you should evaluate your forms a lot more in 3d space.
    you can do this by just looking at your work from every angle and having reference of the anatomy you are trying to sculpt.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Hey some of ur pics are low or high res and what are they useful in any meaning by
    not describing what they are used for? Keep maximum 4 pieces of your best work, you are 3d-artist then you should have one character, one random vehicle, one or two random props, and one random stuff. A big plus is if you can make something from cartoon to realistic work it shows you do things more than only realistic stuff.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the great advice guys. Thanks for all your help
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I would say nix everything except for the two vehicles, the two face paints, the character at the top right, and the house at the bottom left, that will give you some decent variety, but with a specialty and still maintain (what I think) is your best work.