Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bipedal Cat WIP - Topology/Anatomy Advice?

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, been plugging away at this model for a while now and I think I'm finally almost near the point of unwrapping and texturing it, just wanted to get some advice before I got onto that step in case there are any glading issues I hadn't concidered down the line. There are still a few places that need ironing out, and I'll address them as the images come up.
bipedcat01.png

Just a beauty(?) shot first. No that's not a dick hanging down, that's the tail. :poly105:
bipedcat02.png

Current wireframes. Parts that are still mostly WIP are the feet, shoulders/arms/hands, and a few problem areas I'm going to address next.
bipedcat03.png

As you can see the shoulder area is still a mess. Where the tail joins with the mesh is a problem area I need to clean up, and I'm having issues with the torso having more edge rings then the lower legs, causing Tris like the one I circled in red where I stopped it from flowing further.

There are some poles on the hips/legs that could pose problems once I reach animation stage, but I'm not sure yet, I never really done animation before but as far as I know they could be placed better.

The face is almost mostly WIP so it isn't getting a lot of attention here, only question is do you think the ears should be double sided mesh, or would planes suffice with a two sided texture?

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I only have one thing to say, and that's that cats with human breasts have always disturbed me.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Haven't I seen this thread before?

Anyway, if you're planning on rigging this for animation etc, you may want to change the topology in the arms so that they're able to bend without any funky deformations.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shad0wForce, Haha yes, yes you have. I figured it's been dead so long it's better just starting a new one then resurrecting the old thread from the dead. And yes, like I said I haven't finished the arms and shoulders yet so it's no wonder they wouldn't bend proper right now. :P

EDIT:
    bipedcat04.png

Cleaned up the shoulders and tail area immensely, probably going to work on the arms next. My biggest issue is mainly I feel like I have too many polygons that just don't serve a purpose where they are other then making sure other edge loops and flows are going the right way.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having a lot of issues with the shoulder, trying to keep all the edge loops flowing in the right directions without getting like seventy thousand tris all over the place.
    shoulderproblems.png

Had to revert to an earlier mesh for the chest, here's some changes so far

shoulderproblems2.png
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    http://pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_01.htm

Excellent tutorial on how to do poly flow for low poly chars.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jimeeb, something like is is exactly what I needed.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catwondering.png

While I'm working on this I have some concerns I've never been able to address. I do all my work in 3DS Max and rarely bring my models into engines or anything so I don't have much experience with this, but if I wanted to make this model customizable to an extent, say like 2-4 tails and ears or various hair styles, how do I do this?

For tails they can't all be welded to the same spot, do I have to make several meshes each with a different tail? How would I swap them out? What if some tails are longer then others, would I need a skeletal rig the length of the longest tail and simply not bind the skin of the shorter tails to the skeleton bones that extend past the end? What if I wanted to animate the tip of the tail, I'd never know what length I was working with at the time?

This is all very confusing.
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100Chihuahuas polycounter lvl 7
    I like the smaller breasts better, they look better to me on the small cat body. Breasts look odd on animals that generally don't have human breasts, so it would be best to keep them smaller and more subtle. Even in most cartoons, anthropomorphic female animal-people only have a slight suggestion of a more prominant chest, not individual breasts. Thats a design thing.

As for different tails, I'm not sure how to best to that. You could make some different tails and attach them to copies of your model, then you could copy the rig and weighting over to those different models and modify it as necessary. I've never tried anything like that though, so I really don't know ;P