Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Sci Fi Scene UDK

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum for a long time. I have been working on a environment for a University competition. The scene is in its early days with placeholder lighting at the moment, any CC and feedback would be greatly appretiated at the moment.

Here is the scene so far:

compearly1.jpg

sceneboxes.jpg

Many thanks

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Heres a few thing that i see could be improved upon:

- The AO effect is way too strong, tone it down. You would never get occlusion like that happening in real-life.
    - Don't use white coloured lights, it's boring and unatural.
    - Use a different coloured light at the bottom of the hallway to suggest openings.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echoing what Ark said, also just an opinion, but it feels too busy to me. My eyes are dodging everywhere to get the details of it.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Right now its just a modular peice of wall duplicated all over the scene, not so much goin on, there is not even a ceiling. Maybe some cables hanging down or runnig over the floor. A defect panel or something to make it stand out or a focal point. The scene is super greenish right now but that I guess has to do with the lighting and not the textures.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suddenly the camera views the scene from the top and four marines and a lot of aliens storm in, ruining your scene with grenade launchers and stuff
    this looks like Alien swarm somewhat but I think that's just the crates doing it
  • Slum
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for for the feedback its all really helpful, the competition im entering requires me to blend two universes so I have chosen to take inspiration from Dead Space and Bioshock. I am planning to give the impression the scene is set underwater.

@Ark: In your opinion is the AO too heavy on the scene or in the textures?
    @Slum:I hadnt noticed that sci fi corridoors are all octagonal! Pretty weird! :P

I will post up more progress as it comes.

Anymore feedback would be awesome!

Thanks
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Baking a bit of AO subtly in the textures is ok, but the thick black lines that you have now is really unnatural. You should turn the SSAO effect down so it more subtly compliments the scene instead of giving you that outline effect.

You'd never get think lines like that in real life, especially since you have direct lights illuminating the surfaces.
  • Daniel Doerksen
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    on the subject of the ubiquitous sci-fi corridor with THAT shape, and THOSE plates and grates and grilles in the floor, all i'll say is :

think about people in wheelchairs.

and that should be an end to it
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    danr wrote: »
    on the subject of the ubiquitous sci-fi corridor with THAT shape, and THOSE plates and grates and grilles in the floor, all i'll say is :

think about people in wheelchairs.

and that should be an end to it

But in the FUTURE we have floating wheelchairs without wheels. They were invented entirely because floor designers couldn't get their act together.

Sorry for mucking up your thread RU1NOUS, carry on :)
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys ;) I will post up more progress as I have it.

@Ark: Im going to take a look at the AO this week, thanks for the feedback.
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,
    Just updating my progress on my scene, still very work in progress Got loads more props to make to finish it off. The scene has changed quite a lot ove the last week the finished product should have glowing tanks with clones in them and computer terminals placed through the environement plus whatever other goodies I can get made before the deadline.

Here is the progress so far:

WIP3.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    WIP1.jpg

Any feedback and comments would be great.

Thanks again :)
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the floor / ceiling need to be toned down. They are very high contrast. Combine that with the detail-filled scifi walls and it becomes overwhelming.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work, but it feels way too copy-paste, you need to add some more variation in there. Even without props a good scene still looks visually interesting. The problem here is that even if you've seen just a small part of the image, you pretty much know how the rest will look.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Individually I would say the assets quality is good, but altogether the scene looks like it's made of stacked metal crates, not giving the structure a real consistency. Unless that's the way you want to take with this piece of course.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I like what you have so far but I do agree that you need to add some variation with the meshes feels very copy and pasted. Floor/ceiling is high contrast and in the end you probably want to break that up so its not tiles everywhere.
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

A lot of the meshes are repeated, I think in all honesty its a result of me trying to use modular design as a quicker way of completing the project (deadline is the end of this week). Im intending on using the remaining tri count to create som interesting looking props and also the central pieces as its very empty in the centre at the moment.

Im going to tone down the tiles as I agree they are a bit too green at the moment.

I will post up more updates to the scene as they come this week and also the final images.

Anymore feedback would be awesome and thanks again :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    keep it up. try changing the color pallet a bit. make it more diverse.
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again guys,

Here is some more progress on my scene only have a few more assets planned now and then im going to end this project and take stock of how its gone ready for the next.

Here are some more WIP images:

WIP32.jpg
    WIP22.jpg
    WIP12.jpg

Anymore feedback will be awesome!

Thanks guys :)
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Your floor is still very distracting, maybe larger tiles will help since there are no other parts of the room that have such strong/small shapes
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Floor tiling is meh and I think there's too much spec in the scene overall. I also think the room is really too square and uninteresting. I do like some of the concepts you have going and those containment units are cool, even if the material on the glass/particles/godbeams looks really bad.
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    I agree with BlvdNights concerning the specs intensity and the scene seem to be too bright and yellowed , finally , the model with the organic thing is not really detailled .
    Otherwise, there is good potential =)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    TOO MUCH PATTERNING everything has a similar level of detail whhich is hard on the eyes...open space/lack of detail in areas is a good thing itrs called compostion you should look at bunching the frequency of your details and stretching it in other areas which allows the eye to wander between areas of interest...my eyes cant tell what they should be currently

corridor shape- corners are so now...in the future they no longer need them...ever noticed Battle star galacticas aversion to corners....even the paper doesnt have them.....i thinks after the corner epidemic of 2051 corners were BANNED

also much better for dusting
  • RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    After reading what has been posted on here and reflecting on the scene there are areas that need a lot of improvement. Unfortunately I don't have the time now to spend changing a great many of the points that have been raised. Loads of feedback in here to consider for the next piece I do. This is the first environmental scene I have created and so its been a massive learning experience. I will post up some more images when the final few assets have been added and I have tried to address a few of the points made in here.

• RU1NOUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,
    Here are the images submitted for the competition. Ive tried to address some of the points raised in previous posts and have also tinkered with a few elements such as the fog etc.

Any feedback at this point will definatly help with future projects.

BeutyRender1.jpg
    BeutyRender2.jpg
    BeutyRender3.jpg
    BeutyRender4.jpg

Thanks again :)