Home Technical Talk

Best resources to start character modeling?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I want to overwrite all knowledge i currently have about characters and start in the right direction. So im asking for links someone who has never modeled characters would want, and further on.

So where should i start?

Im not asking for all of these links from everyone, but if a really helpful tutorial you remember comes into mind just post it please. I know some of this stuff is real easy to google up and find some tutorials, but id really like suggestions from the members at polycount, the best of the best.

Wanted tutorials/guides:

Body modeling - i can already do, but im looking to get more knowledge of topology as i have a hard time going from neck to head and arms to hand etc. Id also like some links specifically for female characters, i always have trouble with them over the males.

Head modeling
- Easy frustration, i currently have a head base mesh but i feel it could be much better. This goes with the above also.

Hands - Another enemy of mine, messed up hands can ruin the model for me entirely. And i cant find that many resources on them.

Accessories & Subtool management and preparation - Armor, pockets, bags etc. I really want to someday create a soldier and im curious about handling all the straps, buckles, etc. Seems overwhelming and i dont know how i should go about breaking the mesh up and getting them into subtools.

Clothwork!
- Arrggghhh, the most challenging. I really want to find the best way and the easiest to do. I dont want to be scared of cloth or try to avoid it, i just want to be able to tackle it in any and all situations. This requires study, i am aware. But most of my problems are with the folds not looking like folds. I guess i could throw collars and stuff in here? I dont know how people achieve the collars and cuffs. All my past attempts made me frustrated because there were so many techniques i couldnt figure out the best. I ended up using Richard Smith's flatten technique which i hear can take some time to learn right.

Anatomy & Muscles - Another one that requires study. Im not going for a straight out Michelangelo sculpture, but enough to not see anything wrong at a good look.

Face anatomy - here was my most recent face: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2025/oldguyfirm.png and http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9968/manolderyea.png I think those are decent, but could be better. This mainly goes with head modeling ^^. I really want to know what makes someone look badass and what makes someone look like a pussy :\ etc.

Texturing - Not too worried about this, im more concerned about getting my models to look good before i worry about this. Feel free to throw in some links though. Polypaint also.

Creatures
- Shit cant always be human, amirite? By creatures im interested in flesh ripping, veins, scales, tails, hair etc. Stuff that screams 'im not a human' :D

Rendering
- making your sculptures look real, just simple presentation techniques for sculptures. (Ive been to the wiki)

Uving - Im already familiar with it, but not so much for characters. Dont really know what should be grouped together and textured separately, id like some direction.

Hair and fur - Kind of a necessity for almost all characters. Very tricky in my eyes.

Fine details - By this im interested in those really small details people get on belts and straps. And how they get repeated textures onto something (ex: Striped sweater)

Re-topology - Im not sure what the point is in this, but i must be missing something. So id like some links to plug-ins and guides for this.

Skin - Pores, chapped, wrinkly, tough, stubble, etc.

Knowing - Knowing what to model separately and what to just model straight onto the character in zbrush. This mainly goes with Subtool management above.

Tutorials for all these are spread over the internet, and i just cant seem to find a good bit of them. Please note im mainly looking for FREE tutorials. I know about the wiki, but i dont consider 'watching' someone sculpt something a tutorial.

Ive compiled this list, and i hope polycount can now deliver! :)

Ill have this post bookmarked so i can always check back.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    I just can second what frell says, though he is obviously a step ahead of my skill niveau (my first and only character so far). I am just within my semester vacation and wanted to start into character modelling. I planed to go trough the so often praised joan of arc tutorial the next days, but seperated tutorials that focus on all these parts frell described would be amazing.
    I coun't on Polycounts famous willingness to help ;)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    It would be good to know which software you are using...

As for retopology: There are several plugins/stand-alone programs to do that. Like Graphite Tools(included in max2010+, or als plugin called polyboost for older Versions)
    WrapIt awesome retopology plugin for max but not free
    Max Retopo little free script like the very little brother of WrapIt(but free)
    Mayas Go Live Feature(Or Nex Tools, every maya user should have them)
    TopoGun , stand-alone Tool for retopo(not free)
    3D Coat , multipurpose Sculpting tool with some awesome retopo features
    ZBrush also has retopology features, but honestly i don´t really like them
    Blender,SoftImage XSI got Retopology tools too, but i can´t say very much about them.

The reason why you do the retopology step is simple: If you do something in ZBrush/Mudbox/3D Coat you end up with millions of polygons which you don´t want if you are going to put that model into a game engine.You rebuild your mesh with much less polygons and project lost details onto it with a baked normalmap.
    The second Problem is that most models which are taken into Sculpting programs are not meant to be animated, they where build to get good sculpting results.In the retopo step you have to add edge loops and stuff to make it animatable.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sense. Ill be using max and zbrush.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Baking purposes you can also take a look at XNormal awesome tool for that.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im familiar with baking and such, my main priority right now is the sculpting quality of my characters. When i become content with the quality of work i produce then will i start going into texturing and baking.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to mention the freebies on gnomonology(thegnomonworkshop), there are some got tips in them and they are free.

And you should consider watching someone sculpt a tutorial(at least if he the author says something and it´s not timelapsed like hell).There are always some tips and tricks in most videos.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive watched timelapse but i use those mainly to see how people go about bringing out forms. Im interested in the brush settings and techniques and prefer commentary.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That´s why i said video tutorials which are not timelapsed (or at least not faster then 2-3x
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=tutorial_files_for_3d_world9

The Medusa head on this page is one good tutorial. Especially for the how to form the head to begin with, using planes.

The only way really is to study refs, for most of the above(or real things because I cant see wrinkles adequately on a 2d image to recreate them). Then recreate them as best you can, but not once nor twice but as many times as you can, practice and iterate.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0o thanks for those links calabi. Ill definitely have a peak around.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after attempting some of those tutorials i was not happy at all with my anatomy, so i visited selwys site to get enough motivation to start studying it again. Im going to be breaking out my sketch pad tomorrow, as i've always had a thing for drawing.

When i get some results ill create a thread affiliated with this one in pimp.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Frell,

You already have a start working towards an environment based portfolio. Why do you want to switch gears? You will have a much harder time landing a gig as a character artist, and few studios look for generalists. I suggest you stay focused more towards enviro/props. An employer will want to see a focused portfolio, not a well rounded one.

A focused portfolio let's them know that you are committed to the task at hand. A well rounded portfolio lets them know you have no clear focus, and more importantly, you have put yourself in the position of "a jack of all trades, master of none.", category, and no employer wants a master of none.

Just my two cents.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do like prop modeling, but i dont feel i ever got far enough into character art to consider it. I really want to find what one is best for me, as ive always been an artsy person. What really draws me to characters is how much personality they have and how big of a role they play in games.

Thanks for that comment though, you've really made me think. Although, i havent made practically anything environment related because i tend to not handle detail over large areas very well, so i dont know how i have a start. I loose motivation before completing an environment because it takes time and i wont know how it will look in the end (I cant stand that, but for some reason i can with guns). This all changed when i suddenly remembered about modular sets. I can easily focus on one wall piece without being demotivated by the rest of the scene being incomplete. And just for shits and giggles, yesterday i actually attempted making a quick sci fi wall piece just to see how it would look. http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/685/wallym.jpg Basing it off of an actual concept would have been more rewarding, however.

Thanks for your comment though. Hmm.