Home Technical Talk

Modelling techniques in Maya

Hey. I'm new here - I found polycount after Valve's TF2 collaboration and the people on this site are extremely talented. I think I've found the 3D site that I'd been looking for.

Anyway, on to the questions --

I've taken a single class on 3D modelling, and it obviously didn't go too in depth. I learned the basics of Maya modelling and animation, but that was it. I know how to model something from a cube, and cut new polygons with a tool, but nothing much more advanced in Maya itself.

What other modelling techniques do you guys use? Especially for animation and low poly game models, it would seem that good modelling is a must.

One technique specifically i want to know a bit more about. I saw someone (probably on these forums) that had modelled a rough head in zbrush, then took it into a modelling program, and began to lay "strips" of polygons along the contours of the face. How does one go about doing this? Do you start with a square polygon, and then extrude an edge, reposition it, and repeat until you have a sufficient strip? After you make all your strips and position your separate polygons, how do you stitch them together?

Thanks, and I look forward to growing into part of the community here.
Psych

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    For modeling techniques, to put it simply you could start from a box and then cut your details into the mesh and shape it how you like, this if commonly referred to as 'Box Modeling.' You could also start with a plane and extrude your edges to make your forms, commonly referred to as 'Poly by Poly.'

Theres no correct way, everyone has their own preference, just try following a few tutorials that show these techniques and see which one you like the best.

As for modeling for animation, you need to make sure you have enough geometry around the joints so the mesh deforms properly, I'm not a character artist so maybe someone else could jump in as i believe this is quite broad subject.

As for your last question about laying strips over other geometry, this was probably whats referred to as 'Retopology,' where you have made a lowpoly 'Basemesh' in your chosen 3d app, then took this into Zbrush/Mudbox to create you highpoly, then this is imported back into your 3d app you create a clean mesh with good edgeflow for deformation. Then a 'normal map' is createdby sampling the difference between the highpoly and 'retopologised' mesh.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    deformers. just mess around with them and see what they do, go to the animation toolset and create deformers.