Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature WIP

Hi all,

I'm a 3D student in BC. currently, I'm working on a creature sculpt in Zbrush for my demo reel. It is still in a rough state, still trying to figure how to make everything work together.

The idea started from a concept i had in mind:
LW9qE.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to have a creature that was a warrior and got corrupted by an ancient demon. I try to mix in some nature elements to fuse into his body.

this is what i have so far
bfpKo.jpg
any inputs and crits will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice start! I think you went a little overboard exaggerating the proportions though. If you look at the concept he has more subtle, more human like proportions than what you currently have. That said, I think the head is too small, the arms too long, waist too narrow, hands too big, shoulders too wide, and lats too small (the muscles under the arms that fill out the back). The stomach area looks pretty weird atm also. You might want to smooth that out and give him a more human like stomach.
    Also, I would suggest you look for some references on human muscle anatomy and animal anatomy and try to really nail that with this. If your not sure how muscles go in a specific area, look up a reference, but never make stuff up. I'm seeing some strange areas around the hamstrings, back, traps, neck, shoulders, hips and inner thighs.
    Again, I think its a great start man, so keep it up!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Heya mate, glad you posted your model for review. I like the design, as it reminds me slightly of something you'd see in an FF game. I'd like you to consider a few small items, I posted a model I made a few years back so we can compare some of the anatomy and zbrush workflow.

1) You're getting a lumpy feel because you're going to too many divisions too fast. You can model most of what you need at the lower divisions. I know it very hard because you want to keep seeing the progress, but you're only shooting yourself in the foot by going too high too fast (this is something I still struggle with after many years).

2) Consider the anatomy. Right now, a lot of the muscles don't look like they could support his heavy frame, or there are extra muscles in there that only confuse the anatomy. The paintover of the shoulder should help with the major forms, then you add detail like I did on my model.

keep going, I'm going to watch this models progress, and thanks for posting your work.
  • seventhspine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82 Thank you for the feedback. will pay more attention to those areas you mentioned. yeah i noticed some of the anatomy don't really flow well. I do like the current exagerated proportion, but i will try to create more balance proportion

PeterK Thank you for the kind comment and feedback. The paintover gave a me a clear picture of the problematic area as well. yes, work big to small ... i have to keep reminding myself that :)

sorry for not mentioning earlier, the creature has evolved quite far from my first concept sketch. I try to steer away from generic humanoid creature and make it more beast like.

Thank you will post update soon ...
  • seventhspine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't got the chance to work much on the creature, I've been busy polishing up my other stuff for my reel. But here is the latest update, some changes were made to the front torso region & anatomy. Some of the muscle mass were reduced, not sure if this is the right thing to do. I kinda like his massive build. hmm....

soho7.jpg
  • Dongo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks alot better than before, though the feet seem odd - he is balancing just on his toes though to me it looks like his weight isn't actually over the toes, its more forward, and because of his large build I would suggest a larger base; a more human like foot?
    The muscles and shape look awesome so far, and I agree that the massive build looked so cool.