Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Textures Suck Character Texturing Crits

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
Hey everyone, just wanted to make this thread to show you guys the horrors of my awful character texturing. I've tried MoP's goblin about six times, worked for 3 hours and gotten shit results I have three of them that I've done in this post, I just can't friggen get the god damn thing to look right, I know it's the value, but I just don't know how to make it work. Any comments on how I can make these better, any paintovers, really any comment I'll take I just wanna improve.

n6rkhc.png

Thanks

-Will

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Could we see the textures applied to the model?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya sure man sorry

Skayne: Yeah, the one with the wierd filter look actually is just i think three overlays. Yeah I spent maybe two hours on that one and a half hour on the rest because I gave up. And yes I don't come from an art background, I've been practicing my drawing lately, I'm still very lost to 2d though.

28lutxz.png

20sgb9g.png

344a784.png

-will
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Stop using filters. Only use the brush tool till you get the hang of it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks like just an AO bake. really hard to critique that.

maybe it would be easier for you to start with a greyscale to get a hang of volume and forms. start sketching in where you want the lines, outline shapes, etc. then paint in the highlights. and then it's all blend blend blend.

start simple and work your way up.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the one on the right shows the most promise. don't sweat it though, it takes lots of practice to get good at this
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really, my problem is is that I just don't know how to use values to make things pop, such as a bicep.
    Like a paint a dark color, then go in with a light, brighten up the center, but it looks like poo.... Any tips on that?
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could use a bit more work. I think you're trying to jump into the details before getting the big stuff done first.

I wrote this tutorial a million years ago, but if you knock the dust off it you might find something that helps:

http://www.pig-brain.com/tut01/tut01_01.htm
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I think you're trying to get too much done at once, take your time, but more importantly go easy on the strength of the brush and don't use soft edge brushes all the time unless its for something like gradients.

Grab a hard edge brush and zoom in (no really zoom in)

for this example i'll just fiddle with the belt, its 3:30 AM here so.. well...balls etc.

beltpaint.jpg

1) This is where you left off.
    2) Roughly draw in hard lines for the shape you want to achieve
    3) Add some basic colour distinction, something flat, a base to work on
    4) Still using a hard brush, tone down the opacity and switch to darker/lighter shades and gently create some basic gradients for light/dark areas.
    5) Continue with 4, eliminate the very dark if not pitch black colours, gently highlight edges and even paint a bit of colour reflected from other surfaces (see the yellow tint at the bottom of the belt)
    6) Continue doing the same, scale down the brush, make thinner, finer lines, add to specular hotspots (see the bright white dot on the buckle thing at the top)
    7) Polish etc, add more colour, prevent areas from being too dark/light
    8 ) If you so desire, boost colours and values by adding blending modes and painting more larger scale light/colour info onto the new overlaying layer.
    9) Sharpen, or not, if it needs it.

I'm not a super great artist when it comes to this style of texturing, i do have a lot of fun with it though, so apologies if anything i said sounds a bit dumb. If you want to pick up techniques just look at art styles from games like WoW, Diablo, or that MMO that slipgate worked on...I forgot the name, too tired.

Anyway, i hope that helped in some kind of way.

edit:

oh god, loads of posts went by, damn I'm slow, anyway off to bed.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jons and DKK, I fucking love you three, thank you guys for commenting and giving me those links, i will definetly try again using the techniques :)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Three very quick tips:

1 - think in terms of light, not in terms of color. Light dictates shapes. You can describe any shape just by describing its illumination, from spheres to knife-edged creases. The sharper the transition between light and dark, the sharper the edge.

2 - Don't use pure white or pure black except in the tiniest highlights and pinhole crevices (for realistic / semi-realistic texturing, anyway, stylized is a whole different ballgame). Also avoid using completely neutral shades of gray for shading and highlights once you start painting coloration, or your models will take on a painted-paper-card-model look. Shadows and highlights are almost never completely desaturated. When it comes to color shading, darks, lights, highlights and shadows will be partially transparent (so they'll let some of the color underneath come through), and they'll also carry some of the color of their origin (bounced off another surface or the ground, or diffused through the sky). Colors also shift as more or less light is hitting them, but exactly how depends on the material - therefore:

2a - Get good references.

3 - Start with large forms and work smaller. If you're doing cracks and scratches on his sword before you've completely described the overall shapes of the character's physique and other large forms, you're getting WAY ahead of yourself.

...and for God's sake, keep away from the filter menu until you can paint something decent entirely by hand. It will ONLY end badly. I am speaking from hard-earned experience here. Please, learn from my pain.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    JFletcher, awesome advice. thank you very much for doing that step by step.

btw OP, are you using a wacom pen or mouse? If you're using a mouse, i highly encourage you to take a look at getting just a basic tablet. It will help you tons.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Do you know this link? It's a great starting point:
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

EDIT: Nevermind, someone posted before.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I love the way Jon strolls in at 3:30am, takes the time to do a step-by-step breakdown, lists the stages clearly, specifies tools and technique for each step, and then starts in with that whole humble 'oh, I'm not that great at this stuff' crap.

Whatever, Jon - you rock like a motherfucker. A rockin' motherfucker commanding an army of undead attack bears armed with surface-to-awesome missile launchers.

Seriously, though, Jon - your work's awesome, as is your willingness to help out. Always a goldmine of info whenever you post in threads like this. Thanks, man. :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow guys thanks for all the comments, I'll be sure to try again and post up my progress :)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    danshewan wrote: »
    I love the way Jon strolls in at 3:30am, takes the time to do a step-by-step breakdown, lists the stages clearly, specifies tools and technique for each step, and then starts in with that whole humble 'oh, I'm not that great at this stuff' crap.

Whatever, Jon - you rock like a motherfucker. A rockin' motherfucker commanding an army of undead attack bears armed with surface-to-awesome missile launchers.

Seriously, though, Jon - your work's awesome, as is your willingness to help out. Always a goldmine of info whenever you post in threads like this. Thanks, man. :)

Lol, thanks. :) Definitely gotta make an undead bear /w missile launcher at some point in the future.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goblinwip1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so yeah decided to try it again, normally I wouldnt post something this early in, but I'm about to leave for like 2 weeks so I'd might as well leave it here. I think that this is way better than my previous attempts
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good now, more natural looking light and shadow, not a fan of the pink ear and nose tips though.
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    yeah now thats starting to show some promise,keep it up
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    little off topic but maybe somebody know did bioware facial textures for Mass effect by hand painting or they use photo ? (as example Shepard Miranda Jacob )
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    This is a massive improvement, good job! Although I would tone down the pink on the ears and nose. It's a nice way to add more life to a character's face and I do it a lot myself, but it's just too bright and clashes with the green skin tone. Subtlety is key.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joker_47 I think they used some kind of body-scan software, and probably touched it up themselves...
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, I'm in the same boat and I'm also learning how to hand paint textures.
    I've stumbled across a link with Torchlight assets (uploaded from the Runic forums) which may help you in your quest for painting textures. There's a mix of characters and props, which you can use to study how they achieved the desired results.

Here is the thread, the first post gives you the link to the download.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5012
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freerealms from SOE is all hand painted as well. its free to play. its like wow for children. I am about to graduate from the art institute in san diego, and here we have the sony mentorship program and we design and build 3 full levels based on their games in a team structure ( lead, art director, level designer, modelers and texture artists). in my case at the time it was freerealms. I personally was the level designer for my team but our texture artists did a very good job using freerealms as inspiration.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RAWTalent & Fingus - thanks guys I'll see about the pink when I get back to my rig

@Danielmn - thanks:)

@sketch81 - thanks for that link bro! I'm checkin that out as soon as i get home!!!

@Miller02 - Hey man that actually sounds pretty cool, do you have any pics?

Aight so just updating to show I'm still here and w.e, I actually did the shield, but didn't get a chance to post it :( And I'm gonna be home on sunday so I should probably have an update by then. Next off I plan on doing the Jagex art test ( the book shelf ) and then some other misc props (barrels and such) to improve my last gen texturing