Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maxi´s Art Thread

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hello polycount, i am a dude who likes modeling and is making this thread to show you my stuff so then you can help me get better :)

Here are my wips:
High Poly Modelling:
ppsh41render.jpegweapon.jpeg

Textures Work:
I am really new to textures and this is my first texture(thanks phillipK for the awsome tutorial, it has helped me a load), i had remade it a load of times until it came out quite decent to show, critics here will be greatlly apreciated :)
Textura_1_Render.jpg

Scupulting:
Really new to this as well, i have been playing around with rock blocks(thanks Sascha Henrichs for the awsome tutorials for mudbox), made this one after 5 tries:
mudboxrock.jpg
mudboxrock.1.jpg
Hope you like them, see you guys

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey guys, have been working on more stuff, heres a new rock scupult and a mustang 2005 i am working on at the moment
    mudboxrock2.jpg?t=1280860278
    mustang_render.jpg?t=1280860278
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Hey maxivz, you got some nice starts here. The second sculpt is definitely a huge improvement, you got some great harder shapes going there, some more definition and even sharper edges and baking that to a lowpoly and texture it and you got an awesome stone prop :)

Glad to see my tutorial was of use, the normal looks nice, and it's good you added some variation to the specular. I think you could add more subtle color variation on the actual metal surfaces in the diffuse tho, and there doesn't seem to be any specular information where the colored stripes are as well as any edge info.
    If it's not supposed to tile vertically I also suggest you to add a subtle gradient from black at the bottom going to the top, that will really help the diffuse a bit, also I don't see any ambient occlusion bake in either of the maps, that will also help add a lot of depth :)

Anyway, nice stuff, keep up the work!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    THanks Philipk, you made a wonderfull job with the tutorials, they are all great,your modular tutorials will become really handy for me once i decide to start pulling out modular meshes, thanks for the crits, i will be working in a new texture soon :).
    Heres a new rock, tryied a diferent type of rock, with softer edges and a more rounder shape.
    mudboxrock3.jpg?t=1280867536
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I have been working some more rought time on this, car modeling is kinda tricky for me, heres the progress i have been making it as i go trough car modeling tutorial in max from digital tutors. Screenshot taken from viewport using xoliul shadermustangrender.jpg?t=1280887431
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey guys, heres a rock wall i have been working on recentlly, i am having problems with the spcular map, for some reason its not working as it sould do, or i havent made it as it was supossed to be done :P.
    Critics are really welcome :)
    rockrender.jpg?t=1282396938
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Yeah, the rock ended up being a strange hybrid :P, looks like a mix of sandrock and sharp edges rock, btw, the gun (ppsh41) works that way, i know it must look strange, but thats how it has been made, take a look at the top photo, the front ends up in a weird way :P
    ppsh419nh.jpg
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really not sure what kind of rock you were going for, you need to make sure your using a good concept.Correct me if im wrong but I think this is what you may have been aiming at: rockwallcrits.png
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks for spotting that out Priske, that was some kind of what i was wanting to do, i will rework the mesh now, actually, start it over maybe
    Will update as soon as i have something that looks like rock :p
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what program are you using to sculpt?
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Im using mudbox
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright yeah, make sure your using the scrap tool plenty for rocks like this. Also, making them individual rocks to start and then baking them onto a solid lowpoly always looks nice. Something like this might be a nice reference: [URL="reference:"]http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75393&highlight=rock+wall"]rock wall tut[/URL]
    Not exactly the look your going for but you get the picture, you could probably do it in less polys with this type of wall.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks for pointing me to that tutorial :) I wil try making my new rock wall using a method like that, it will work much better for sure