Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Action RPG UDK

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I worked on a Action RPG Level in the UDK. The scene is not finished, if I have more time I`ll finish this level. Meshes are made in Maya, Txtures in Photoshop and Crazypump.
Critics and comments are welcome.

action_rpg_01.jpg

action_rpg_04.jpg

action_rpg_05.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Wow that is a stunning environment! Everything came out very nicely! I love the texture work you have going on there!
    Only thing that strikes me as odd is how there are a ton of destroyed arches and broken brick walls... but there is no trace of a ceiling or any walls for that matter. No foundations, nothing.

Still, excellent work!!
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found myself basically saying "What Prophecies said", and I must do it yet again :). This really is some superb work bro, these images alone make me want to know more about the scene, what happened, what was there, and what's currently taking place. Really great work here :)
  • JordanFrayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great, but I would love to see some more organics mose, vine etc.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Really crisp details, particularly the rock cervices and all.

Interesting though, no debris, wrecked furnitures, looks like it was built like this to start with.

It would be cool to go back and some focal elements in the scene, like a fireplace, remnants of a living room to draw the eye. I'm kind of split between looking at the torch or the trees. Maybe even add some cots to show that this is an occupied area?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount MaYdaY.

Great first post. Models and textures look really good. I like the layout and sense of depth in the scene.

The fog/atmospheric perspective seems a bit otherworldly, not sure if that was your goal.

I think you should spend some more time on the sky it's a bit bland compared to the rest of the scene. Just an idea but what about bluer sky with big black clouds and sheets of rain coming down? A blue sky would help get complementary color to your torchlight into your scene.
  • MaYdaY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the comments.
    The whole idear of this scene is an very old ruin witch is a memorial or something like this. Thats the reason why I am make this scene a lot more cleaner than a "fresh" ruin. Next step will be an medival military camp in this ruins. They use this ruins to hide from a powerfull enemy.

best regards
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That's looking great, I love the color palette!

One thing that bothers me is that the rocks in the last picture are so full of details and lines that my eye can barely read what's going on there. It's visually a mess. One thing you could do to improve reading on this particular picture is to make the lines in the rocks horizontal instead of vertical imo.

Great work nevertheless!!
  • Neyull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neyull polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. :thumbup:
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I love the colors too ! And the global level of light and shadow. Very nice !
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Great scene! The first two pictures are great :)
    The third gets a bit cluttered due to the amount of hard rock surfaces with a lot of light variation hitting them without any more major definition of the rock it's hard to get a feel of it with all broken up lines there.

Otherwise, quality stuff and moody colors :)
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work would like to see your work flow on those arc structures..
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    I am very new user of UDK, can you shom me shader for rock surfaces, please.
    The art piece is awesome!
  • Flow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah ! Great scene ! I love the atmosphere !
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    MaYdaY, awesome. Is this really for a UDK action rpg or is it just meant to be as one? I'm curious if there's a game in development here. :)

zxcman, look at the shader for the rocks in the GDC features level included with UDK. It might not be the same, but it's pretty nice.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • MaYdaY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, thanks for the comments and critics. :)
    I`m also unhappy with the sky and this green color. Rain and blue sounds good. I try this out if I have more time.
    This is my first UDK project so I am not so familiar with this software. is there any way to deactivate the fog and postprocessing from the skydome?
    best regards
  • MaYdaY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    btw. a few more screens :)

action_rpg_02.jpg

action_rpg_03.jpg

action_rpg_07.jpg

action_rpg_09.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Reminds me of some of the stuff in overlord, especially sections of the dwarken kingdom.
    (Only because I've played it recently)

But your stuff is much darker and grittier looking, great work.