Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cedwards

Hello,

I've been following Polycount for a while and wanted to start posting the work I'm doing in my spare time for feedback. I'm trying to work on my portfolio and gain some speed. All feedback and criticism is welcomed. Thank you for looking at my thread.

Here is the latest project I am working on, a vintage slot machine. This is the high poly layout sheet.

hi_slot.jpg

Replies

• cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some progress while waiting for this post to show up, so here is the crap cast I did to make sure my low poly geometry was working ok.

slot_crapcast.jpg
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my first pass at the texture. I would really appreciate some crits on this.

lo_slot.jpg
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the first pass texture maps. Is 2048 too high for a prop like this?

slot_maps.jpg
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, my posts are finally showing up! Here is a sheet of my references for this project.

slot_refs.jpg
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is another pass at the textures for the low poly.. I've been working on the red paint and specular before doing a variation pass on this. Do you guys see anything that stands out or that I could work on to improve this?

This is 1,767 tris with 2048 maps.

lo_slot_texture_wip.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome. Matches your refs perfectly, but since this is game-art and everything has to be all visually interesting and whatnot, it might not hurt to add a bit of grime and wear, especially in the crevices (like where the wooden sides meed the plastic/bakelite main body)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make the metal a bit more chrome and its perfect.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    Make the metal a bit more chrome and its perfect.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's pretty durn gewd. I really like your textures, not every piece needs to be grunged up but variations in texture sheets are a good idea.

Check some of the reference for the lever, it should be bent backwords a little more where you grab it, and and it's a little on the thick side.

The body it self is a little bit wider then the reference as well. It should be a bit taller. also I would make the corner that are to the left and right of the winning combinations sheet in the middle of the machine softer like the reference as well.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    hey chelsea! welcome to polycount! That is one pimp looking slot machine!
    The only thing i would say, and it has already been mentioned is that some parts are a little off from the reference. Other than that, keep up the good work!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Chels! welcome. great model. I agree with whats been said.

All that's missing is some 'grunge'. small details scratches from be moved from place to place, minor paint and shellac chips, shellac worn down where humans have interacted, dust in crevices and on the tops of flats. Your spec could use some loving.

In the spec is where you may control the shellac that is shared with nearly all the material. In the reference, the machine looks like it took a bath in shellac. Your model looks like right before the bath. So your spec may be too dark right now, as your materials stand out to be more 'raw' than 'treated'.

It only needs subtle break up and interest left.

This may be in the way your rendering but, I think the wood and the red paint need to be a tad warmer.

Hope this helps Chels and I'm looking forward to seeing your work news updates!
    -Phil
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very New Vegas-sy feel
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    needs some reflection map
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe add a slight grunge map.. other than that i like it !!!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Looks really good.
    For the technical part, the model looks really well optimized in tris count, it think you could remove even more edges at the bottom where theres is a square pattern.

For the map sizes, this should be no bigger than a 1024 (use sharpen if needed) and the normal map could be a 512, I think you would not lose much quality with these texture size.

Awesome prop! props! (bad pun sry)
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all of the feedback, everyone! I tried to address all of the critiques, and the comments really helped me out on this. I had a hard time achieving a reflective looking chrome in real time, so I tweaked the spec and added some color to help fake it out a little better. I habitually work in Marmoset and realized that it might not work as well for reflective materials as 3 Point or Xoliul's shader.

Anyways, here are the final layout sheets for the slot machine, and I have also started working on an M16A2 rifle that I could use some feedback on.

lo_slot_no_df.jpg

lo_slot_df.jpg

lo_slot_maps.jpg
  • cedwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some quick dirty renders of the M16A2 high poly WIP. I had a difficult time trying to understand all of the pieces, as a lot of my references are variations of the M16. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

hi_m16_wip.jpg
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    dude, your M16 looks grrrrrrreat!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    looks good except for the weird plane change on the front metal parts on either side of the $50.