Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Forest Tale scene

Hello Polycount, Noob here looking for help. I'm getting ready to graduate with a bachelor's degree in game design and development. School has been challenging and an exciting experience where I learned much about myself and game design. My problem now is that the curriculum I took was based more on theory and game design as a whole. That itself was great but I need a portfolio right lol. So here's where you guys come in.

The concept I am working on is a fantastical world where scale plays the largest conceptual influence. Eventually this piece will be the focus point of a larger scene. Five gnomes will be riding the rabbit.
The main surfaces are leather, hemp rope much like necklaces most of us wore, twigs, carved wood, pinecone shingle shape, and obsidian.

Right now I am blocking it out in Max I will be bringing it into Z brush as subtools and in parts. For sculpting and texture. The largest ? In the workflow I have is dealing with the canvas differences between the characters and the rabbit and saddles. Critiques, comments, questions are more than welcome.
PCtest2.jpg
PCtest1.jpg
PCtest3.jpg

Replies

• JordanFrayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have more of a block of the armor completed. The D-rings are the many method of tightening along with classic belts. Bone will be used for both when it comes to the material.
    PCtest4.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Wow I'm very surprised I am the first one to comment on this piece.

First of all I wish you luck in the final stretch of your degree, I was there earlier this year so I know how it feels. I also understand your dilemma regarding portfolio work, I was the same way at the end of my schooling, and I am paying for it now with the need to have more work under my belt.

Now onto the work, I absolutely love the idea of this piece. You can see so much creativity in it, I am excited to see how things turn out once you get this bad boy in Zbrush.

I am confused about what you mean regarding the difference canvases, a little clarity might help me and others to give you a more helpful answer :) The only critique I can see at the moment is the fact that your rabbit is far too tall and thin. I understand with your design you are fairly limited because of the armor you have on the exterior of the body so I'm sure you've already noticed this. With a few tweaks I believe you can have the best of both worlds.

Again, good luck on the schooling and with the project. I am going to follow this thread to see how you decide to tackle this one :thumbup:
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting idea! I would spend some time sculpting the body first before adding the pieces since their placement is completely dependent on the shape of the body and you might want to experiment with that.
  • JordanFrayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the comments. In regards to the scale of the rabbit, right now I wanted the armor to be setting inside the fur, so the entire surface of the rabbit should grow beyond the armor. I am hoping that gives the thickness needed.

As to the canvas size problem. I am planning on breaking this down to sub tools for sculpting and base texture work. The problem is I am planning on putting five other characters on the rabbit. How do I make sure the canvas size for the rabbit looks alright in comparison to the other characters which are a lot smaller. I mean it's going to come down to how it looks but I am a little worried about it.