Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toltok Shadow Imp

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
First real thread here on Polycount, would really appreciate some serious critique.

Working on a collab project with my good friend Eric Priestly, who whipped up some badass concept art to be made into a low-poly game mesh.

shadowCreatureConceptRendered-1.jpg
shadowCreatureOrthoFBS.jpg
shadowCreatureHelmetOrthoFBS-1.jpg

Just finished up the rough basemesh for the body. Trying to decide now whether or move on to the basemesh for the helmet, or to just jump right into zbrush with the body mesh.

baseMeshFS.jpg
baseMeshP.jpg

Thoughts?

Replies

• ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Way cool concept, I like the helmet...It has handlebars! What does it do? I think you need to explain yourself:) Base model looks good so far, good luck with the sculpting
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    seams too chunky at the mo, the arms and legs are not as bandy as they are in the concept but these things can be fixed at the sculpting stage
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    ENODMI: Thanks! I'll have to pass the concept love on to Eric :D. As far as what the helmet does... The idea behind this guy is that he is a small, weak little bugger on his own, but when wearing the helmet he becomes quite a bit more fearsome (you could think of the helmet like a mage's staff I suppose). Thought this way we could add some connection between the visual design of the character and his potential threat in a gameplay scenario.

SHEPEIRO: totally agree, got a little carried away with just busting out the model and lost sight of the nuances of the concept. Made some adjustments which I think much more accurately show the style of the original piece.

armLegFix_01.gif
    baseMeshFS_02.jpg
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool concept.. a little thing to take note if i may point out..
    you got some rectangular faces at the hips area.. may lead to uneven subdivisions if/when you decide to bring it into zbrush/mudbox for sculpting..
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    erics concept is very cool! i am excided to see your progress on the 3d model
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the concept! It looks like it should be a monster in twilight princess!

Do you plan on sculpting or doing old school textures only?

I know its a wip but you seem to have quite a few wasted polys. Try to make each edge loop have some effect on the silhouette.

I'll be watching this keep at it.
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    ihour wrote: »
    very cool concept.. a little thing to take note if i may point out..
    you got some rectangular faces at the hips area.. may lead to uneven subdivisions if/when you decide to bring it into zbrush/mudbox for sculpting..

Very true, I'm trying to find a way to get rid of those without adding more poles in the stomach/side, or bringing too much excess geometry down into the lower legs... I will be bringing it into zbrush next to detail and (eventually) retopo so i'm trying to keep detail where I think I will need it for sculpting at the moment.
    nbac wrote: »
    erics concept is very cool! i am excided to see your progress on the 3d model

thanks!
    Killaball wrote: »
    I love the concept! It looks like it should be a monster in twilight princess!

Do you plan on sculpting or doing old school textures only?

I know its a wip but you seem to have quite a few wasted polys. Try to make each edge loop have some effect on the silhouette.

I'll be watching this keep at it.

Awesome game :). I plan on bringing it into zbrush to sculpt it, the poly count right now is mostly about getting the subdivisions where I need them once it gets in there. I will definitely keep that in mind though when the time comes to retopo him!

Helmet update coming soon.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    New one is definitely looking better than the old.

And, err, did you mean Toltec, not Toltok? As in the old civilization somewhere south of where the US would eventually be?
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    Valandar wrote: »
    New one is definitely looking better than the old.

And, err, did you mean Toltec, not Toltok? As in the old civilization somewhere south of where the US would eventually be?

Thanks, I think having that bend in the arms helps out. Also, I don't think the concept is supposed to directly reference the Toltecs, but the helmet's design is definitely influenced by Aztec/South American art so I can see the connection.

I've been working on the helmet on and off over the last week, had to make some minor alterations to the original concept orthos to get it to fit around the body in a way that made sense. Let me know what you guys think!

helmetBase_01-1.jpg
    helmetBase_02-1.jpg
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    Its been almost a year and a half since I last touched this (fuck) but I finally found some time to give this guy some zbrush love.

impSculpt_FULL.jpg
    impSculpt_FrontBack_LARGE.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    What an interesting concept! haha. I like it, but I wonder why there are handlebars coming from it? Maybe those would read better as like tusks or something, but that's just my opinion. The sculpt is cool :], only I think he looks like he is going to fall backwards anytime - his hooves are a little too 'forward' which makes him look unbalanced.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man this is cool!