Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Statue Fountain

Hi I'm new to this site and have been working on a statue/fountain that I plan to put into UDK and make use of its effects system etc. I'm mainly concerned about how I'm going to make the statue look more like stone before I transfer map the sculpt to the low res. I know the anatomy of the skeleton isn't 100% accurate but I figured it was okay to stray away from perfection since its a statue. I tried using Surface-Noise but it doesn't work on the entire model and causes stretching of the noise in some areas. Also not sure if I should just go crazy with an alpha brush. Here's some pics, critiques are welcome.

j5at84.jpg

11kearn.jpg

5kpzeq.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Death breathing life, neat.

His slouch and pose remind me of an old peasant woman. It's especially odd since it's support structure is up-right. I'd anticipate all that dead space behind his back to be filled with something. Not only to consider it all being carved from stone meant to appear together, but for artistic composition purposes.

I'd worry too much about a sculpt NOT looking like stone than something you want to look like stone. I find sculpting for game statues/carved structures focus on bigger details that make it appear like stone (major cracks, sections broken).

The tiny details almost never translate to a normal. Look at that row of 1000 teeth you game him for example. Once this is all UV'ed out and given it's tiny space on the UV map, most of that detail simply will not bake (Note: if you give the face a custom 1024 maybe so). Those big wrinkles in the lower cloth should look great through.
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of the statue you get the fire-scroll in Gauntlet Dark Legacy from. Cool!
  • Ixion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the replies, I actually thought this didn't get through because I couldn't find it on the forums..so I'm trying to delete the new one..

- I'm planning on using 2 textures maps for the model and one for the water material. The face takes up just a little bit less than 1/4 of the one map and on a 512x512 the detail came out pretty nice in my opinion.

- I hunched him forward mainly to make the silhouette more interesting on the side view.

Here's the detail I'm getting on the face with a 512x512

ojf387.jpg
  • Ixion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update with textures, more detail to go into the base behind. Not sure if I'm going in the right direction with color or not, I keep trying to put color variation in the statue but it doesn't stand out. Tell me what you think about the material choices--

t5j0co.jpg