Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rookie Beach Enviroment (For a Myst Game. In... 3DS Max 8?!)

Hello there. The title of this thread aptly sums up my position!

I'm posting this here for two reasons - one, self improvement. You folks really know what you're doing, and I hope I can get the right sort of pointers to make my "age" (read: level) look great inside the engine I'll be using - Cyan World's Plasma 2. Secondly, I want to draw attention to the engine and accompanying slowly-going-open-source MMO Myst Online: Uru Live Again. :)

At the moment, the only way to make stuff for the game is in 3DS Max 7, 8 or Blender, and the Blender plugin is fanmade and, er, in Blender, so I'm using this old Max 8 copy I located.

The concept is a small rocky island in an endless ocean, an open bay leading into a cave system that forms the bulk of the "game" content for the level. This area is just eye candy and framing content (journals and whatnot). In the spirit of OSness, I'm going to make the entire thing public domain once done.

Here's current blockout progress. I've learnt the hardway to get ALL modeling done before any texturing.

Blockout001.png
Blockout002.png
Blockout003.png

More progress as I make it. At the moment I'm not really sure how to go about the arches. They have to be really visually interesting to make the player pause to examine each one, and I'm not sure how to go about that. The next step is bettering the cliffs.