Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Control Room - Holodad film (image heavy)

So I'm currently working on this control room interior for the independent film Holodad.

Some background info on the following interior: Some of the elements in the concept had to be changed because the director wanted it to change, like the console in the middle of the room was removed so people can walk through it, and the door shape changed because he wanted it too. The platform by the monitors was removed because the green screen floor is entirely flat so he wanted nothing above floor level. Also there was some changes to the concept because this is a had to fit in a 40'x20' room and unfortunately some objects had to change.

The concept artist on the project is See Ooi Lim, and as you can see he loves detail.

I would like some critiques on how I can improve this interior. Thanks a bunch! And sorry this is for a film and not game art....but this is the best cg forum imo.

Concept:
Holodad_ControlRoomB.jpg

Airlock.jpg

Assets.jpg

Ceiling.jpg

Corner.jpg

CornerDesks.jpg

MonitorPipes.jpg

Monitors.jpg

WideShot.jpg

Replies

• 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyper impressive.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm speechless. Nice work.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa. That looks good. Real good. You going to bake all that down to a low poly? That would be mighty impressive if you did.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Mind=blown

This is art to behold. You wan't critique but I have none to offer.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies in advance if i ruin the party but I'm not overkeen on it.

Modeling is incredible for sure, render looks great but in my opinion there's just too much small detail. My eyes are just like wtf. The scene is hard to read because of the millions of minute detail and I think it wouldve worked better if a lot of the small detail was suggestive.

There's some nice shapes and lines in there but they just seem to get lost by this overwhelming sense of insane detail.

Also, I'm guessing there's gonna be some character action with dialogue in this space, if that's the case, I would find it hard to focus on the dialogue and characters because my eyes would be drawn to the fifteen zillion buttons, switches and knobs all over the place.

In saying that though, you've followed the concept well and I guess that's where the detail comes from.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes though and glad it's not me UVing it :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Sick....*no words to explain how impressive this is* type of work there lad. Keep it up.

It reminds me of some room I ran in to in Doom 3.

Cant wait to see it textured :)

Keep up the good work.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    now thats some details you have there
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing details!
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That's some badass work right there. Any concepts or direction as to how the textures are going to look?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I disagree with creationtwentytwo. While I usually hate the whole hyperdetailing thing that studios like Epic do, I think this has a nice distribution of small, medium and large detail. Small details are where you'd expect them to be — on the consoles and machinery — and other, larger planes are always there to break up the visual noise with a solid shape of some sort.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I disagree with creationtwentytwo. While I usually hate the whole hyperdetailing thing that studios like Epic do, I think this has a nice distribution of small, medium and large detail. Small details are where you'd expect them to be — on the consoles and machinery — and other, larger planes are always there to break up the visual noise with a solid shape of some sort.

I've just taken a second proper look and I think you're right, I take back what I originally said and now to me, the level of detail is actually more along the lines of 'just right' as opposed to my original suggestion that there is far too much.

However there are one or two areas I still think might be slightly overdone in terms of reasability, to see where I mean, view the auto-resized images and some of the detail gets lost, especially in areas along the tops of the consoles. To me, the fact they get lost once zoomed out would suggest they're maybe unnecessary or at least that level of detail is unnecessary.

Of course I know nothing about art for pre-rendered production, and not exactly a whole lot for realtime so take my comments with a very small pinch of salt! I suppose the camera may pan in tight on the console or whatever in which case those fine details will be important.
  • Akkiras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the responses, I appreciate it.

As for the over detailing in some areas, I do see how it is/can be a problem. Earlier I did scrap a few objects and redid the floor because I it was drawing too much attention to itself. I tried to add as much detail to any object to bring it to life and made itself visually interesting to look at from almost any angle. Unfortunately while doing that it brought a ton of small detail so like Swizzle pointed out I added more or less the necessary bolts and other detail to an object to make it look like it could be usable.
    I will try to condense some of the smaller objects, but most of the other interiors for the film all have this over detailed look to it.

As for UV'ing it, I expect it may take about 2 weeks to do, I do have a lot of instanced material, but still.........it will take a while :/

Prophecies: I do kind of want to make some low poly meshes for some of the larger objects so I can bring my poly count down a little bit. Right now the scene is about 2.6mil polys with nothing being smoothed and in each of those renders were probably about 2500 objects and about 3-6mil polys (and keep in mind that is only a few objects in each scene were actually smoothed). I probably won't make anything low poly just because the amount of time to do it, though if I have time or if I see the need to I may go back and make a few key objects have low poly meshes.

As for the direction for the textures, its still being decided. There were some other concepts that was done by another artist that made it looks a tad military-ish but the concept artist that I work with kind of wants it to be a Moon-esk white interior. But it won't matter for a while, the director wants me to model a different interior first while the art direction is till being sorted out. I was really looking forward on texturing this piece next :/