Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painting practice

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
So im really trying to get better at hand painting textures now. I think i have stone pretty good but it could use some work.

Here is my first attempt at stone:
brick.jpg
ETA: 30m - 1h

Heres my second attempt after looking at some other work and attempting to recreate it. I think the grout is a little distracting and on future stone textures ill make the bricks closer together. Just noticed that theres more stone grain(?) in the top 2 stone than the rest. I had some trouble trying to recreate the strokes on the rest because the first 2 were supposed to be just practice.
newbrick.jpg
ETA: 2-3h

Here it is tiled:
tiledt.png

Replies

• jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    if i had to say something straight off its your contrast is way too harsh on that second set. make the grout a color cause black is very rarely sexy on anything and it just eats up the texture making all your work for not on those bricks.

in general i like the texture though. i think the damage again has too much contrast, if this thing is gonna tile make those cracks a little more subtle with some lighter colors.

cool stuff though! i'm a big fan of painted textures and am really glad they are becoming back in style.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brickg.jpg

Here it is with the original saturation, i went for a dark subtle purple grout, may have been a tiny bit too much though

birckc.jpg

Adjusted the purple grout a bit:
    birckc.jpg
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    Generally speaking hand painted shadows always look sexier when they're a purple-grey colour.

The bricks look pretty cool, and the damage works well, (maybe a bit of green/yellow in the overlay would be nice).
    Other than that, the grout needs detailing with shadows and surface texture.

Good stuff!
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Personally, I'm seeing too much of the texture brushes your using rather than something that resembles brush strokes or painting. If your going to use texture brushes I think they need to be blended abit more and less blotted. Eye-Drop sample colors for blending w/ pressure sensitive strokes.

Highlights are kinda inconsistent and abit flat. I do prefer your original colors as there are changes between hues rather than just shades. I think you should also take it up a notch an go for more contrast.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to take a break from the stone and try to make wood but im having a hard time making the wood grain strokes because i dont have a tablet. Any suggestions?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling with a mouse, heres my first try at wood (still a wip)
    wood.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to love this texture:
    woodm.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good progress keep at it!

One thing to keep in mind when doing a wooden floor, is that the boards are nailed to an underlying structure. Nails and seams will line up with these underlying support pieces and form a pattern.
    400_F_4680426_bMTXhLxgQ3qpeULX6jSiogQCIeFEwf6N.jpg

The exception to this is of course flooring which is laid over a solid surface, but flooring isn't nailed its either jointed or glued.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drop a reference wood or stone image into photoshop, blur it up, smudge it up, mess with values, apply filters, then color pick and paint over it. I think its a good place to get started.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres my first attempt at a generic stone sort of texture. You can sorta see the tiling when viewed straight on but i plan to use this only on organic objects.
    stoneo.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress! I really like the recent generic stone one. Only suggestion would be to try and change your brush width up a bit. You can always go back in later with an eraser (If you're working with layers) and carve a little variety into things.

As for the wood, it looks familiar...a little too familiar /pulls off mask Scooby Doo style. Explain yourself! :)
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    frell wrote: »
    Starting to love this texture:
    woodm.jpg

Wow that wood came out pretty lush, when you get the time can you post a workflow for it, lookin' neat.

Keep going!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress! I really like the recent generic stone one. Only suggestion would be to try and change your brush width up a bit. You can always go back in later with an eraser (If you're working with layers) and carve a little variety into things.

As for the wood, it looks familiar...a little too familiar /pulls off mask Scooby Doo style. Explain yourself! :)
    It doesnt look anything like that lol

Ill post a quick workflow in a bit