Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RoboArena

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, I started working on an Iphone game of mine that I have been planing for awhile. I am going for an old school feel, and trying to keep the draw calls down to as little as possible (everything is on one 512x512).

Anyhow, here is 3 of the Robo hull parts as well as some of the arena stuff:

screencaprobo012.png

screencaprobo024.png

screencaprobo011a.png

Enjoy :D

Replies

• Hagel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What will the gameplay be like? Racing?
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will be like a mix of diablo and that old robot battle shows. The parts you see here, are the base body parts, on top of those you build your Cockpit, Engine, Reactor, Weapons, etc , all of which change the appearance.
  • PL-Fighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PL-Fighter polycounter lvl 10
    On which system i can play this later ?
    I love this Style.
    and how is the name of the game?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I assume there will be palette swaps for the robot parts, to tell the diff between the player models and the computer-controlled ones?

Otherwise, looking great so far! WE WANT MOAR!
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game would be on iPhone/Android assuming I ever get the money for the licenses :poly124:

I plan to have a custom color section on the robots with a color slider (by changing vertex colors).

Anyhow, since this semester is over I got some time to mess around some more with this. Here goes a unity webplayer that lets you mix and match a bit.

I would still need to add the custom color sections (stripes and such), as well as the mounted weapons. At the moment you can only see the hull, cockpit, and engine.

http://jasongordy.com/pages/games/RoboArena.html

Enjoy:thumbup:
  • Bruno Afonseca
    was loving it in the first shots, but seeing everything on that background didn't work too much for me. background colors are weird, and that outline effect looks really cool and I think you should keep it!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    characters/machines r pretty cool. Nice old-school look and good use of pixels too ;)

Environments seem as a rushed afterthought tho to me.
    They r quite chaotical in color and therefore have rather random stlye, just bunch of mixed colored pixels. Some parts r too bright some r too dark or contrasty which makes visual noise or flicker.
    If envirnments would be more color unified and balanced i think they would be much more appealing to the eye ;)
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea nothing is final, right now I am just trying to get the engine going before I heavily focus on the art. I will look into toning down the background so it isn't so distracting. As for the outlines, it just depends how many more draw calls adding outlines would add. It is something that is very easy to add in, and hopefully it won't be a problem :)

Thanks for the comments.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    This may be a dumb question, so forgive me if it is, but wouldn't it be easier to go with the UDK since its the most powerful solution available on iOS by far and it's virtually free ? You wouldn't have to worry so much about performance problems.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not if you aren't a very good coder and you want something that can easily port to pretty much all platforms. Also, unity has the easiest importing of assets ive seen in an engine. Performance problems aren't really Unity's fault, but the iPhones, Unity is pretty powerful (not as powerful as UDK, but its a great engine).
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K guys, I updated the web player. You can now drive around, shoot, and see items drop. Items are already generated, similar to diablo with stats and quality/durability (just cant pick them up).Still rough, tomorrow I will probably start working on the weapon graphics.

http://jasongordy.com/pages/games/RoboArena.html

Enjoy :)