Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help with face topology

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
waronmars polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys, I'm building a simple model to make my own rig with, but I am not a fantastic modeller - can you give me some tips of the topology of this head?

facial_topology.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• waronmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll throw his body in here for crits as well, take a look.

rig_1.jpg
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hi Warons, glad you posted here. Lets see if we can give you a few pointers for the head to get you on your way.

First off, you can remove a lot of the polygons you have there, your mesh is too dense for a start off point.

You did keep it very clean though in terms of quads, nice job on that! Now what we need to do is use the lines/quads to express some shapes within the bigger shape.

1) Note the topological lines in the first image attached below. You should try to line up your "main" lines to these, and use them to outline the structure of the face and head.

2) Note on the second image attached below that the sides of the mouth have a small skin fold there, adding some extra poly quads in the area will help you avoid the "pursed lip" issue that a lot of 3d head models have. It will also help you mouth deform MUCH better for animation.

3) Note on the third image attached below how the eyes are curved, you have enough polys around the eye region to duplicate this effect.

4) remember that the eye is not a sphere, it's oval shaped, and there are a lot of great tuts for making eyes.

Good luck with the head, you have a clean mesh here, now you just need to implement a few best practices to get a defined shape.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting link on the subkect I like to always keep at hand:

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8911
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Er, that looks a little bit like the norman Rig.
  • waronmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK: Thanks a lot, great advice there - I'm definitely going to use it!

felipefrango: Great link! Thanks!

Talyor Hood: I was influenced by the Norman rig for this mesh, as I want as simple a face as possible while still being able to show as much expression as I can. I have modelled the nose as part of the mesh rather than separate, as I want to learn about deformation and control of a face mesh with a nose attached, as most of them tend to have :p