Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio / UDK level

EggE
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
EggE polycounter lvl 11
hey guys i just wanted some feedback on my website. I just finished a UDK level and im in the process of posting more stuff up, i just wanted to know what you think of the site and the content so far.

http://www.edgarespinal.com/Nuclear_Lab_far_1.html

Replies

• Neyull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neyull polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, Its looking nice. I think you should tone down the depth of field though. The lighting could be pushed a bit more aswell. It seems like you've missed an opportunity to use the robot arm and the hexagon VFX as one of the main light sources. Doing this would give you some interesting shadows on the floor and highlight your normal maps more.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I like the focal point (the hologram and that sphere) but it seems everything around it is so box and undetailed. If you spruce that up will look better. Also are you just running normals through crazybump/nvidia filter? Also bloom was a bit too much, my laptop right now is out 2 level brightness (macbook pro) and was like dominating the scene.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    @ Neyull_ yea lighting was very important to me and i've been messing around with the lightmass in UDK and its been a learning experience to say the least... i'll jump in to my level and concentrate on my focal point and see what results i can get.

@haiddasalami_I also questioned the objects around the room also, if their enough or too low poly, thanx for the input. i don't use crazy bump i use the nvidia filter for little details like bumps and cracks...is that a method i should use or go into zbrush? are you talking about the bloom in the video?
  • Neyull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neyull polycounter lvl 8
    I've played around with Light Mass and found if your not careful it can make the scene look washed out.

For your normals, Especially the metal panels you have. I'd make a simple high resolution model to bake the normals from and only rely on crazy bump for the small details.

Hope that helps.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the technical aspects you implemented in UDK.

These scene itself looks very dated, however, due to the extremely low polycounts you used. This is more suited for a portable game. Even on the consoles, games can push a million polys like it's "whatever" to the processor. We still model things efficiently. There's just a lot more room to get crazy than back in 1998.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cholden wrote: »
    I like the technical aspects you implemented in UDK.

These scene itself looks very dated, however, due to the extremely low polycounts you used. This is more suited for a portable game. Even on the consoles, games can push a million polys like it's "whatever" to the processor. We still model things efficiently. There's just a lot more room to get crazy than back in 1998.

dude 1998 was a brilliant year to get crazy...:poly142:

but yeah the scene could be improved no end just by looking at where the jagged lines are and adding twice as many loops here

also tone that dof down now that reminds me of 1998
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    thanx guys, i'll jump in and add some more to it, but sometimes i feel i meant to go the ds or psp route... =/

@ Neyull_importing my level from ut3 to UDK...some interesting things happened to my level..when ever i used the default build of lighting in UDK my walls disappeared, but lightmass even though washed out my level did not delete any of my progress, i wonder if this ever happened to you?