Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Engywook

demilich
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
demilich polycounter lvl 8
Here is a redesign of Engywook from Neverending story. The backstory of this character is that he has created a crystal-powered windmill machine that will fly him over to his crystal telescope to look at the Oracle passage where Atreyu needs to pass. Just an alternate method inspired by the pulley system his wife has to manually haul in the movie.
Any feedback and comments welcome. Thanks guys. I attached simple colors to the crystal-powered windmill with MRGB in zbrush. I know that
I need to improve on his beard. Also to note, his shirt is soft cloth, and his pants is a thicker cloth. The crystal mill is dilapidated wood.

engywook_2.jpg
mill_final_5.jpg
engywook_solo_1.jpg
engywook_solo_2.jpg
engywook_solo_4.jpg
mill_final_2.jpg
engywook_complete_2.jpg

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice sculpting. I hardly remember anything from that movie, but he seems like a pretty cool character so far.

The wrinkles look really good in some areas, but overall it's a little too much for me. His clothes are also quite plain looking, and I think you can make things more interesting by sculpting in the physical seams of the clothing where it is stitched together (on the sides, down the middle of the pants, etc.). Maybe a belt and vest to add interest as well.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot haikai! Will do on fixing the clothes and adding interest. I felt the same on the plain looking side, wanted to see what others thought. I really like your
    avian defendor and melissa sagemiller models, excellent work.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engywook_high_final4.jpg
    engywook_high_final8.jpg
    engywook_high_final9.jpg
    engywook_high_final10.jpg
    engywook_high_final11.jpg

Update on Engywook's face. Im not sure on how I sculpted his hair, beard, and eyebrows. Still exploring on that. Any feedback is welcome guys, and any tips on sculpting hair.
    Thanks!
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any suggestions on hair sculpting are welcome.
    Thanks guys!
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I like the face, but I'm thinking that the facial hair is lacking in some way. Try adding more detail, similar to what you did with the face. As it sits now it looks like a different style of modeling, but thats just my .02

Keep up the good work :D
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a high poly model called Protector. After playing Army of Two with a friend, I was inspired to create my own character. All feedback is welcome. I don't think I will be keeping the mask on him, but perhaps just keep the eye goggles on him. I never finished the low poly completely, but I need advice on it, it would be great!
    Thanks guys
    protector_0_highpoly.jpg
    protector_1_highpoly.jpg
    protector_2_highpoly.jpg
    protector_3_lowpoly_1.jpg
    protector_3_lowpoly_2.jpg
    protector_3_lowpoly_normals.jpg
    protector_2.jpg
    protector_1.jpg
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sculpt looks really nice. What size maps you using on the low poly? Looks like 512 or 256. Seems like you are loosing quite a bit of detail.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to see if I can get more feed back on this character.
    Its inspired by Army of two. Reworked some areas to improve the quality of the model. Resculpted the pants and readjusted areas. The first version of the pants can be seen as well as the resculpted version. I still need to make final adjustments and properly model a strap for the weapon.
    protector_4th_final_1.jpg
    protector_4th_final_2.jpg
    protector_5b.jpg
    protector_5.jpg
    protector_6b.jpg
    protector_6.jpg
    protector_7b.jpg
    protector_7.jpg
  • achillesian