Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP -Dungeon monster!

ABANDONED

Hello, This is my Dungeon monster early WIP!

POLYCOUNT:
~5000

IMAGE:
lapa.png
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8883/lapa.png
WIRE:
lapawirejpg.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1273/lapawirejpg.jpg
TO-DO:
(/) Legs modeling
(*) Body modeling
(*) Hands, head modeling
(*) Texturing (UV's Tutorials would be helpfull)
(*) Rigging (animating)
(*) Rendering

Any more info?
Sorry if i forgot something, im new there!

Replies

• Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    The more you show the more people can crit. Not to much to say about some very WIP hands
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Hi!
    Can you show us a concept image of what you want this monster to look like?
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeoAlien2-300x300.jpg
    Little , simple , toon monster ;)
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Why is this so ridiculously dense, especially at this stage?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you would've spent less time lighting and rendering those hands, you could've had more model to show us, and we would've had more to help you with. As it stands, all I can say is that those really aren't very good hands.
    Looking at image you post of the blue monster, thosehands have a lot more shape to them. They have knuckles that divide the fingers into digits, they're not flat like yours...
    Yours look like an empty rubber glove more than a hand, and I would spend some more time working from reference.
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback,but only why i've posted reference , is because i want to do some toony monster like this one , but Eearth mage ;D
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    But that doesnt change the fact that your hands look like empty rubber gloves.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that your pipeline here is what is making this difficult and off. what system are you using to model this? strip, box? because it is usually best to block in the whole body first then get to higher level of detail. I think you will find this to be a much simpler process if you started bigger with a torso and arms, and worked your way to the hands. hands can be difficult when you are starting out, there is alot going on there and without an understanding of the underlying structure, bones, muscles ect. your hands will not look natural. hands and faces are similar in this way, if there is something off people will notice right away.

Also for something as simple as the monster in your ref, i would say you could easily block out the whole body with 5000 tris. that kind of count really isn't necessary until you get beyond the block out stages.

this will most likely help you at this stage.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo, honestly, i dont know what you talking about :/
    im new to 3d, but i did this hand or something just by creating Cube and making it look like CHOPPY hand and then hyper nurbsing it! =]
    Thanks for link ill look into that :)
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littomosnter.jpg
    Update guys!
    wire:
    littomosnterwire.jpg
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    To be honest, you would benefit most from scrapping what you have now and going through the tutorial that woogity posted before trying to continue on this project. It's a great tut for starting out, and would really help you to get a better grasp on how to make an initial basemesh without getting out of control with smoothing and the like.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    never be afraid to stop and start over. you lose nothing, the old one is still there, but rarely will you go back to it after you keep moving forward.
  • emeryalanlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with both the posts before me, when i model stuff i never get it right the first time, or like the 5th time, you'll notice a lot of improvements. just keep posting; the more posts, the more feed back, the better your results.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry...but I speechlless.
    It looks like you have the completley wrong idea of what 3d game art is all about.
    Please, look at some tutorials. Start with a cube.
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for feedback, so you mean i need to start over?

P.S its high poly and and why the heck it should be game art!? O_o
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    99% of the content in this forum is videogame art, and we are all videogame artists! Don't worry, we still dish out general 3d advice too.

e: but also, you put a poly limit at 5000... why? if its not for a game, there's no point in limiting it. Also, if you do want to stick to 5000 tris, then like Taylor mentioned, you missed the point :P
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fea, i didn't stick to poly limit! :)
    5000 is polycount in a leg :D
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh, but really dude, what are you planning to do?
    Is it actual game art or architectaul design?
    For one thing, I can say that you are approaching game art COMPLTLEY wrong and plus, even Architectual Design is approached differently aswell.
    I don't really think you've grasped the concept of 3D.
    Here's what to do. It'll take you like a millisecond.

Make a cube and then extrude it's face. That's what you should be doing! I'm not sure how to explain it, you've just got it all mixed up =]

Erm, or try edge modeling. Make a plane and extrude it and connect the edges...

You can find out all of this on Google.

I used to be an aspiring environment artist but have sinced went on to animation and I can still remember alot.

Well, good luck.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    forget about hyper nurbs. make the choppy version look good and come back.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow polies out of control! call someone!

you have enough polies in one of his legs for the whole model, roughed out.

def start over. and don't take it personally, you need to start with the basics.
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, thanks guys for advice's, ill go read some tutorials now!

CALLING THIS 'PROJECT' ABANDONED!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you read the tutorials you may infact then how to connect polies together and not just stick 2 nurbs objects into each other =]
    Haha

But yeah man, tutorials are the way to go. There are PLENTY!!
  • a931bw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, may i ask?
    Should i stick with Cinema 4D, or go with maya,3ds,Ligthwave etc?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. Okay, well most of us here would probably agree that it's just a tool and how you use it situation but infact there are many adventages to a little old package named '3DStudioMax'
    Which is reffered to as the Industry Standard for modeling.
    On the other had there is Maya which is known for it's streamlined animation tools - thats the package I use.

So basically, the best option Imo is Max for modeling and game art and Maya for Animation.

They can both do modeling and animation but both packages are better at their own thing.