Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Steve Strickland - TX

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SStrickland polycounter lvl 14
Hey all! I wont beat around the bush, I'm trying to get a job as an environment/prop artist and need another set of eyes to tell me what I lack in my portfolio.

sasjr [dot] com

Textures suck? Not diverse enough? Too much bloom? Should have went to school for something else? Let me know.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great looking portfolio, especially someone trying to get in.

At a glance, one thing that stands out is the straw roof of the Weapon Smith. The polygons are very obvious and jaggy. This is a combination of their placement and poor scene lighting. Real hard transition between it and the walls that a nice shadow casting would cure right up.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    a great thing to have would be a small bar underneath with your name and contact info. remember this was mentioned by cholden in r_fletch_r thread in technical talk and was on the portfolio game mentor podcast.
  • SStrickland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SStrickland polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for taking a look!

Good call on the Weapon Smith. After getting some other feedback (and listening to that particular podcast), I pruned it and some other stuff. The Warhammer tower was a better piece, and it shows the same skill set.

I also threw my contact on the bottom of the main pieces. I'll continue to update the others.

If anybody has any more suggestions, I'd love to hear em.