Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Tom Ellis

Hi there all, I've decided to start up a sketchbook thread, with the intention of using it solely for anatomy and character based work. I feel this is an area where I'm literally a beginner, and I intend to start from the beginning.

I would love crit where possible, obviously a lot of what is posted here (at least initially) will be more scientific sketches rather than artistic ones so crit would be more to do with if I get things wrong as opposed to crits on compostion for example.

I'll start with sketches on paper of muscle groups and focus on specific areas of the body, then move onto surface anatomy on paper, and probably to digital sketches with colour / shading once I'm comfortable with getting an anatomically correct sketch down. From there I will go into ZBrush and do focused sculpts on specific body parts, and hopefully in time, I'll lead up to some full body sketches/paintings/sculpts.

I should note, some of the ecorche style sketches will be taken from anatomy books, and will therefore not be my own work, but once I get to surface studies I'll use ref photo's and try to implement what I've learned, then of course crit will be most important.

Hopefully this might serve as a bit of a learning experience for others too, if you can read my scribbles that is.

So... let's get started!

Ecorche1.jpg

Ecorche2.jpg

Ecorche3.jpg

Ecorche4.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Great work! It's actually quite usefull to watch your stuff :).
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    you know yopu can turn this into a shading excercise if you are ever bored :) also can try messing around with some other material to add some fun.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir - Thanks! Yep I hope this might be of some use to others too, as I said, if you can read my scrawled notes then you might be able to learn something!

Haiddasalami - good idea, when I start doing some more artistic stuff rather than the more scientific stuff I'm doing right now, then yes it will indeed be a good chance to explore other mediums and practice my shading skills!

Today I tried to do some of the same muscles groups but with skin, trying to locate the same arm muscles when covered by skin.

Arma1.jpgArma2.jpg

Arma3.jpg

Arma4.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff Tom, I'll be posting anatomy stuff in my sketchbook as I learn too. Also, I'll check yours regularly :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EmAr!

Todays efforts:

I tried drawing some arms where the muscles were less prominent. It seems to me in this case it's more about slihouette - crests/valleys as the muscles are less defined on the surface when covered with more fat.

It's hard!

Also tried a quick figure sketch about 20 mins worth.

Armb2.jpg

Armb1.jpg

FigureSketch1.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some ZBrush action. I got a bit of a shock when things went from 2D to 3D... after thinking 'OK I got a handle on where the muscles are' when I came to having free reign on 360 degrees of model rather than 'front, back, sides' as I did on paper, I quickly noticed my lack of knowledge!

I gave it a shot though, hopefully with more study it'll improve!

armsculpts1.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This afternoons speed sketch, the pose was from PoseManiacs so the face/hair is freestyled.

FigureSketch2.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok had a PM that ImageShack links weren't displaying for some people so switched them to my DropBox, thanks for the heads up Gaganjain!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weekend updates, onto the legs!

LegMuscles1.JPG

LegMuscles2.JPG

LegMuscles3.JPG

LegMuscles4.JPG

LegMusclesSkin5.JPG
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    keep it up on these man, they're great practice. One thing I would say though is to not forget the bones :) Knowledge of musculature gives you that wonderful tone (or lack thereof if you're drawing some super-tubbies), but it's the bone structure that really keeps everything in proportion and helps avoid the "made of gelatin" look.

Can't wait to see more.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wake.

Yeah I'm studying the bones also, I'm just not drawing them. I started to draw the arm bones, but it became clear that there's not a lot to them, providing you get their length / proportion and joints right then there's not much else to watch for.

I tend to draw a kind of 'stick skeletion' before I draw the muscles and I'll mentally see these as the underlying bones rather than actually drawing out anatomically correct bones.

Here's a bit more on legs, I'm trying to get my head around which muscles are most prominent from the surface as the ecorche is so complex but only 4 or 5 of the muscles are visible on the surface, even on athletic figures.

LegSurface2.JPG

LegSurface3%20%281%29.JPGLegSurface3.JPG

LegSurface4.JPG

LegPosed1.JPG

LegPosed2.JPG
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revisited arms today to practice my value/painting skills. It was a lot harder than I expected!

ArmPaint1.jpg

ArmPaint2.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    may i ask what your using for ref?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing Marlfox, the Ecorche sketches are taken from a couple of anatomy books I've got. I can't remember the name of them but it'll be something like 'Anatomy for the Artist', there's plenty of good ones around.

All the surface drawings are just my interpretation from photos. Mainly from Google / Flickr, some from a special edition issue ImagineFX just put out on anatomy which has a few nice action poses in.

Did some more painting today. They kinda look a little flat I think but I tried to resist pushing the levels just to get some more contrast.

LegPaint1.jpg

LegPaint2.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more sculpting today, attempted legs. Again, all the 2D knowledge in the world seems inadequate once you jump into 3D, I'm gonna have to get one of those Freedom of Teach models I think.

LegSculpts.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok big update.

I have no idea why I drew the dudes wang so damn big, either way that wasn't the focus of this exercise :D

FrontEcorche.jpg

BackEcorche.jpg

SideEcorche.jpg

FrontSurfaceDetailM.jpg

BackSurfaceSketchM.jpg

SurfaceSideM.jpg

SurfaceFrontF.jpg

BackSurfaceF.jpg

SurfaceSideF.jpg
  • redpandafire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surprised that not a whole lot of people give critiques around these boards. But its good you are showing persistence with your sketchbook. Keep it all about you and nobody else. =)

I think your recent sketches are getting better, but what I notice is that you're using line in a sort of way that kills the expression of your form. What I see is that particularly on the females, the lines of the breasts and nipples are waaaaaay too harsh, which destroys the form instantly. Line is a very tricky thing to master, and its best to use it -sparingly- within the confines of the object itself. Almost 90% of whats within the boundaries of the object is mass and shapes of shadows/highlights. Your work will be much more believable if you try to see the shapes rather than try to "feel" around with your pencil. Feeling is great for construction and blocking out the form, but not so great for finishing the work. You want softer transistions and more delicate edges.

Hope that makes sense. And keep up the hard effort!
  • ac3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ac3 polycounter lvl 6
    The male torso studies show some progress already, good stuff.

When doing anatomy studies, also try to remember where the most important muscles attach to the bones/skeleton and figure out how they are working...helps a lot.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies!

Redpandafire -

Nice tip, thanks! I've tried to take that on board with todays sketch.

MaleTorsoSketch.jpg
  • redpandafire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instant improvement dude. ;) Compare this last one to "FrontSurfaceDetailM.jpg" and just take in how much your pencil work has evolved. Keep refining this look until your values are milky smooth with less rough hatching. Keep it up!
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how I missed this one! Wow man, it's great to see such dedication. The recent improvement in pencil work is especially worth noting. Talk about getting the most out of a crit. I know exactly what you mean about trying to apply 2d to 3d. At the end of the day tho, I think it's one of the best ways for an artist to understand form. Keep at it tho man, I'm really looking forward to seeing more.
    Surprised that not a whole lot of people give critiques around these boards.
    I think it has to deal with the forum description "This is used to show a progression of projects and skills or for general art dumping without regret, worry, or intent." Post the same work in the Pimping & Preview section and it's a completely different story. I'll take a few good crits over a million "cool picture bro" comments any day.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Not only that, but I bet more than a few of us feel that we aren't knowledgeable enough to make a decent critique on this particular board.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the further replies everyone. I think the key to my dedication is that I'm absolutely loving it. In all honesty, I've kinda got lost in the digital media for a long time so going back to pencil and paper and just sketching is a whole lot of fun, and learning anatomy and appreciating the human form is something I'm really enjoying too.

I tried to lose some of the 'hatching' from my previous sketches and attempted a male and female back. Wow it was hard. The back is made up of so few muscles and even on athletic figures it's tricky to pick up detail, on a less athletic body I'm finding it near impossible which would explain the seemingly random areas of shading on the female. I think I was 'searching for detail' and trying not to make it look so flat.

Not too happy with them to be honest but it's all practice!

BackSurfacefromPhotoF1.jpg

BacksurfacefromphotoM1.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more frontal surface study, I'm happy with the forms, not so much with the 'sketchiness'. It seems the initial idea of learning anatomy has now evolved into 'learning anatomy + how to pencil properly'!

FemaleSurfaceFrontSketch.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back into the digital realm, quick hour or so

MaleBackSurfacePaint.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More painting today.

FemaleTorsoSurfacePaint.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back into ZBrush today to play with the torso.

TorsoSculptM.jpg

TorsoSculptF.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My job took priority this week so only just managed to get back onto this stuff. I missed it!

I'm hoping to get this wrapped up for ComicCon Challenge which starts at the end of this week, will be a good exercise to start applying some of this new found knowledge to a real project.

So here's some hand studies along with notation.

HandNotation1

HandNotation2
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More hand studies. The second digital one was more of an attempt to speedpaint a bit to capture quick values/form after I spent too long focusing on details on the first example.

HandSketch1.jpg

HandSketch2.jpg

HandPaint1.jpg

HandPaint2.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice man i like your hand studies
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Marlfox!

Hands are haaaaard! Attempted a bit of sculpting, it came out better than I expected but still... wtf is with those fingernails. And it still looks like 5 fingers rather than 4 and a thumb.

HandEcorche1.jpg

HandEcorche2.jpg

HandSculpt.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
  • Tom Ellis
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foot Sculpt. Again, pretty happy with how it turned out. There's plenty of room for improvement but like the hands, it came out a lot better than I expected.

FootSculpt.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onto the head. Very very difficult stuff.

FaceEcorche1.jpg

FaceEcorche2.jpg

FaceSketch1.jpg.jpg

FaceSketch2.jpg.jpg

FaceSketch3.jpg.jpg

FaceSketch4.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of Photoshop portrait action. This is the first portrat I've ever attempted digitally, faces are so hard to get right.

MaleFacePaint.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedy portrait. Looks nothing like the photo but I'm kinda happy with it.

FemaleFacePaint.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok back to it! After a long break while I worked on my CC2010 entry I'm finally getting back to the anatomy.

I believe I left off at faces so here's some ZBrush action.

Same sculpt, first with perspective on, second with it off. It's crazy how different it looks but I'm trying to work in both to get it looking decent from both views. I guess perspective is the more 'real' one but it's easier to work in ortho.

FaceSculpt2.jpg

FaceSculpt3.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More face. I'm gonna create a decent basemesh I can practice with I think, these are just done out of a quick ZSPhere setup and I miss having some nicer loops, especially round the eye area.

FaceSculpt4.jpg
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Nice studies man. A tip I'll give you is, to try and draw stuff from mind aswell, and use the knowledge that you've gained through the studies. That way you'll learn 2x times faster due to the fact that you get/must to use your brain alot more. keep it up!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Eoq!

Yeah good plan, It should help a lot actually, I often find I'll study for a few hours then when I attempt anything from memory a few days later it looks bad. I'll start doing one from memory each time I do one from ref.

Here's a couple quick sketches, one very quick study and a little character idea I had which I may or may not explore further.

BridgmanSketch1

PAFConcept
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Keep the studies up man! Good work on the ZBrush-foot aswell.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eoq.

A few full figure studies tonight. Two from ref, the third from memory. I had more trouble figuring out a decent pose than actually constructing it. I need to get more imaginative I think.

Also, I've been studying Bridgman over the past few days and I'm really not liking it all that much. I picked up his 'Complete Works' at the weekend and it's pretty bad. The quality of the drawings makes it barely even useful and I'm not sure his 'wedging' theory is one I 'get'.

I much prefer Loomis' works and his approach to figure drawing, as an artist, obviously there are far better, but his ideas and approaches to drawing from life from a purely artistic point of view are definitely my favourite.

FigureStudies041010.jpg

FigureStudy2041010.jpg