Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Ryan Hawkins | Work In Progress

Disclaimer: Contacts page is not done yet, I am in the process of finishing it up. Some text areas still need to be converted to code rather then images. Need to finish more assets to fill the front page voids. The reason I am putting this up now is to recieve crits on its current progress. This is not a final portfolio but merely a work in progress of one that is finishing up.

Thanks for viewing the site and I appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think the layout is quite nice. Quick and to the point. Easy to navigate.

My only real recommendation would be to increase the size of your buttons a liiiiiittle bit. Not a whole lot.

I like it :)!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Ryan,

Upfront: I'm going to be a little hard on you, as I saw a couple of little things that I did not like or that a bit bad. Sorry! :(

1: I think your hawk graphic in the header has some really bad aliasing that you could probably quite easily fix, but stands out to me as sloppy or rushed.

2:You've got these rounded corners for your page body, but they're faceted? Was that intentional? Either way, it does not look good.

3: The black color used for the center of the header does not match the black of the aforementioned black margins on the left and right and looks a bit off.

All that said, the two pieces of work you present look very nice. I'd just like to see more of them. Also you list yourself as being an "environment artist", but the two pieces are props really, not environments or even modular environment components. I think you should take care in your working and planning of projects to include an actual comprehensive environment.

Anyway, keep it up! Moar! :)
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far, I will fix the issues stated above keep checking back. I think alot of the issue is that I probably rolled over a blending option or something to throw it off. The jagged corners was not intended I think thats a either a bad slice or just me sloppy. I will look into rounding those off.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The lighting on the carbine is really bad, it's so dark you can't make out anything, and there doesn't seem to be any spec hit at all. Your HP model looks kickass, but the final product just looks like a dark silhouette.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Ditto on the environment art being a bit lacking, maybe aim for prop/weapon artist? Unless you want to do environments of course, in which case... Get some environment art done!

It's quite hard to see the wire on the missile launcher (also, 12k for that? seems like a lot o_O). Carbine wires are slightly easier to see but not much.

Text in your about me section is part of an image and a bit on the small side so there's no way for a user to scale it up/copy paste it. Personally I hate when people put text in images but that's just a pet peeve so don't mind it too much ;)

Listing your friends seems a bit... I dunno, weird? It's a bit like "look at all these awesome people that are my frens!!11" You shouldn't have to list your friends to impress people you know?

However! I really like the site design and you've got a fresh take on how to display a cv, very cool. Now add more work :D
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Editing the site now so if things look funky thats why.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    I liked the pieces on the site very much (good hard surface normals as on your M4A1 elude me still), but the layout on your resume page is hard to look at to be honest. The cube with the aliased texture in particular looks out of place.
    I also agree about the size of the text on your about page.