Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Bolt Gun

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Edited to keep the thread less bandwidth intense :poly124: Newer pics further down

Old pics:
http://imgur.com/93LrT.png
http://imgur.com/YJy10.png

Started this tonight, my first proper attempt at a weapon. Just the blockout so far, planning to do hi-poly next. I'm making a thread to share my progress and for an incentive to work on it (kind of as a break from my environment, alternating). I hope to post frequent updates, and before I move on I want to make everything right to avoid re-doing parts later.

Working from this concept:

http://imgur.com/DKa8r.jpg

Any crits and suggestions at all would be really appreciated. :)

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The areas that need to be rounded like the housing and the piece under the housing that surrounds the barrel are too sharp/drastic of angles. A few cylinder-type shapes would do this small gun a world of good.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback n88tr, really appreciate it :)

I've changed quite a lot.. It's probably more like a sci-fi plasma pistol or something now.

I'd really like some feedback on the design as it is now. Some things I'm not so sure about but I'd love to hear some feedback from much more experienced people design-wise.

it's just a blockout, so the modelling isn't too flash yet, I'm concerned about the design at the moment

WKXZu.png
    YoOVi.png
    xrTih.png

Smaller details I'll leave for the HP. I'm going for a simple, utilitarian look, let the textures and normal details work for it. But I don't want it to be boring.

I think I'll add the light back in there somewhere, maybe something to help the first person silhouette a bit.

Thanks for looking. Crits! :)
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Simmo, great work so far.....will be keeping an eye on your progress. Can you add a wire frame render of your model? I am interested to see the edge flow.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry for the double post, but I made some changes :) I thought the guard at the front over the barrel was too thick, so I made it smaller, and also shortened the gun a bit. I think maybe it's too short now..:

FZ93P.png

EDIT: tekmatic Thanks for the reply.. I can post wires sure.. but as I said it's a blockout, so I'm paying more attention to form and shapes at the moment. Although I'm trying to keep it good for when I do sub-d

EDIT 2: Here's the wires:

vvjQp.png
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Slooow progress. Designing as I go, but I'm enjoying it, it's coming together I think. I'm having a little trouble thinking what to do with the back of the gun. Heh, this project was supposed to be just make something from a concept.. oh well, next project :)

3zxeV.png
    av2KG.png
    fQGCT.png
    RYkIw.png

Still a blockout remember, no pretty modelling yet

Once again, any crits on the design at all, comments, would help out a lot. :)