Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Psilo the Museshroom Hermit [WIP]

Hi Polycounters

I've posted a few times in the past, and I admit that I never followed through. I apologize, but this time it's personal. I go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and I just entered my pre-portfolio class. It's coming down to the wire, now. I have to graduate by December, so I absolutely must pass.

This character is going to be my first character for my portfolio, Psilo the Museshroom Hermit. Yeah, it's not a typo. He's a modern day "muse". I figured that the muses of ancient Rome and Green times must still be around today... and back in the Psychedelic Revolution. So, I thought, what would that muse look like if he was still living in the year 2010. Retired, kick backed, a bit goofy, but wise.

This is the result. I'll be keeping this updated hopefully daily.

Concept Art:
psilocolored.jpg

I'd really appreciate constructive criticism and advice on how to push the character further. This needs to be portfolio quality work, and I feel like I'm just falling short. Thanks!

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    The thing that stands out right now is the two toes, with the big toe being on the wrong side? You could get away with two toes, or maybe three, but with the biggest on the inside, right now it looks a little odd.

Might also be worthwhile to play with the colours, separate the parts to different layers and slide the hue/sat around, experiment with some different palettes.

At the moment it looks a little abandoned, you've got shading around the eyes , a shadow on the forehead, and pattern detail in the shorts, but then very little shading (or what looks like flat colour) for the rest of the character?

Try and avoid a default grey background, and throw in some elements complimentary to the character, what does he do? Items the character could use in game, or relate to his theme?
  • EnlightenedMark
    Wow, that revision is amazing. I know it's only my fault, but I have a horrible time predicting how and where shadows will fall in my drawings. So, I just tend to ignore them when I'm using a model sheet. I know, it's bad to ignore a problem. I'll draw in some shadows like yours are.

And I really like the cream colored dots on his head... But, I chose purple simple because this guy is old. After inspiring the psychedelic revolution in the 60s, he retired away. I thought maybe purple would push the fact that he's aging a bit.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I dunno, instead of purple, perhaps throw in a few missing chunks + some brown on the edges?

horse_mushroom.gif

11-07-mushroom.jpg

Also more hippy stuff, the more peace sings etc you can give him the better.

Jewellery etc.

Right now he looks like a Japanese fisherman. :D

Another quick paintover to show what I mean.

Oh and hippie.

hippie.jpg
  • EnlightenedMark
    650egp.jpg

So, that's what I changed. I didn't want to make his obnoxious with his bling or flashy clothes, because he's still supposed to be wise. But, I really liked the torn cap edges idea. They really push his age, in my opinion.

The shirt's new colors are a lot better, in my opinion. They're much more hippy and much less "japanese fisherman", I hope!

Edit: I think the background might be a bit much, though... hahah I really miss looking at the grey now
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome character, I like the personality and design. I think when you model him in 3d the upper arms might be difficult to register because they are so thin and you won't have that line to help define them.
  • EnlightenedMark
    Torrrrtilla(I dunno if that's the right amount of rs or not): Thanks a lot! I've been toying with him in my head for quite a bit. I want to get his sidekick, the Rasta Raccoon, down on paper soon. :P If the arms end up giving me trouble, I don't mind fattening them up, but I think I'm gonna risk it for now haha.

It's been awhile since I posted an update, and that's because I had to wait on group approval of the model sheet (it's going to be used in a school project as well). So, during the downtime I had with Psilo, I started a vehicle for my portfolio as well. Here's a peak at that.

2i20h3m.jpg

1hvw5f.jpg

I'll start modeling Psilo tomorrow, most likely. Any crits or critiques on the van would be great as well!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Heya mate, you've got a fun design for the character and the van. I'd recommend you optimize the van quite a bit, lots of polys on it right now that are not adding anything.

Regarding the wheels, either deepen the inside dish, or remove those polys entirely. I would recommend you chamfer the outside rim of the tire as well, it's a sharp 90 degree drop right now, not very tire-like.

Cheers, hope to see more.
  • EnlightenedMark
    Hi, it's been awhile! Sorry, I've just been pretty busy with class. But, here are some updates!
    13zzqyc.jpg
    oqarna.jpg
    2412xki.jpg
    33wbk0w.jpg
    w9itue.jpg
    2qivc78.jpg

and the Van, with a basic placeholder texture for getting the gist of the colors and design.
    35jaujn.jpg
    nphnuo.jpg
    6jg1va.jpg
    243hnqb.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Only crit atm, how does his head get through the van? ^_^

Keep at it!