Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me to become a better 3D artist! :)

Replies

• WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re: normal map.... you will need to invert/flip green or blue channel on your normal map material settings... so that it sticks out rather than indents. I think this is what is happening... as you intended them to be raised.

The last sculpt is good... I like that. Am not usually a fan of floating heads though. This dude has a nice profile view. Don't know why he is pouting. I hope you made your own base mesh for this. If not, I would makes some base meshes for sculpts as you go on...

Check his ear, needs some work if anything and the eyes on the polypaint.. look like they need more polys or tightening up around the iris.

Last year I was into doing "speed" things every now and then. I don't think they are that useful. Speed is something i realise comes fom experience... kit bashing and base meshes and workflow etc. Better to spend 8 hours than 2 hours and nail an amazing scuplt... seeing as you got a good start in all cases.

That clown was cool btw... i hate them things.

:poly121: Keep at it dude, I am liking how you are evolving inside this thread...
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
    Heres a couple of concepts for a character I'm thinking of doing since the intial ZBrush sculpt of this evil clown head I did a while back seemed to get a positive reaction out of people.

At the moment I'm thinking this character is some sort of lone gunman who's picking people off with his rifle as they run from him.

The other idea in my head is to make him just a real badass that just kicks in doors and shoots big guns, like Marv from Sin City or Hellboy.

I'm thinking the lone gunman idea is a little more menacing, being chased down by this scary looking clown with a rifle seems pretty scary right? The lone gunman version also skins his victums after hunting them down biggrin.gif

C & c welcome, also any other ideas from anyone as to where I could take this character?

HKPZx.jpg

WillMac: Thanks for another comment dude! I will try flipping the channels in the normal map, thought they looked ok on the map but I'll give it a try since it doesn't show on the model still.

Thanks for the rest of your comments too, I've taken note :) I'm sure you'll enjoy my latest update with the clown, mwahahaha!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I like this idea a LOT, you should totally go with it. Could easily be the star of a 90's serial killer horror film. I also like the mullet-like hair but I'd keep the mask looking as clownish as possible since there aren't much other clown elements. Maybe he could wear big clown shoes lol? I also dig that he's wearing underwear under the trenchcoat.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, this is a really cool concept. Will he have over-sized clown shoes? *crosses fingers*
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, clown shoes? I thought about it, sounds cool but I'm not entirely sure it works with the rest of the design, I would like to add them though just not sure if it fits well yet, I'm thinking about it anyway, I've made a start on the base mesh but I've been sidetracked temporarily by a few job offers which have led me to do other stuff. I will however get back to this clown as soon as possible, might start a new WIP thread for the clown as well and do it properly!

Anyway heres a slightly more finished version of the arcade machine was working on a couple of months back and also a low poly character I did recently for an art test. The low poly character is only 303 verts, never worked that low before so it was a nice change I guess. I think it came out ok, I would really like to hear what you low poly guys think since I rarely touch this stuff. Took me about 12.5 hours to complete as well, c & c welcome, thanks!

felipefrango: I remember you mentioning about the arcade machine wireframe and how I shouldn't have modelled in the side circle thing, I agree I shouldn't have but I got a little impatient with this model and just wanted it finished, I'll be doing more of them in future and I'll take a little more care with them.

L8NYH.jpg

rGWCl.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, "shouldn't have modeled" is a bit strong. I was talking more specifically about edges that could be removed. For example, you could remove the edges in red and add the ones in green to keep it all quads/tris.

paintoverf.jpg

About modeling the circular piece, it all depends on how close it'll be see in game and at what angle. If it's seen up close and from all angles I'd say it'd be interesting to have it modeled. The thing is, you could remove the whole thing from the cabinet mesh and make the circular piece a floating mesh. It'd save a lot of tris and it's much easier to handle. The only downside is that you waste the texture space of the polys underneath but it's usually worth the exchange.

The Guerrilla Bob model looks cool, but could be further improved. You could've mirrored half of the torso UVs since they're pretty much symmetrical or paint some assymetric detail like the belt strap thing that goes over his shoulder.

You should also try to straighten out the UVs as much as possible. They will take less space and even if they look like they distort a little it'll look better in the end. The hat for example, could be straightened out and that line could be a straight horizontal line. The way it is now you have to tile the line to make it straight on the UV so it looks blurry because of anti-aliasing, if you straighten out the UV it'll look much sharper. The emblem would look sharper as well.

Anyway, my point is you could've saved some UV space and made things look sharper so you have more definition with less space. And you could use the extra space to texture weapons and grenades, for example. In the low poly thread there are some nifty examples of this.

Also you could have painted fold shadows on the pants, like there is on the concept art.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What's probably more important about the arcade thing is that you have a crapton of polygons in all the circular stuff, but the countertop/armrest thingy only has 7 sides which makes it look very lowpoly. So you've got a pretty big difference in detail. I also think the side panel could just be textured in.

Guerilla bob looks pretty nice, but you've got the shape of the face wrong. it should be more )( instead of (). Also, could you post some wires? You say it's 303 vertices, which would be about 600 triangles. But at 600 tris you can get a lot more detail in there.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good savior, I agree with a lot of critic being given I just finished something similar today that will probably help you with the lowpoly stuff. I'll pm you instead of high jacking your thread by posting work I've done.

Snader:
    Everything is different in max I made something that was 175 (or so) verts but in unity It says It's 300 verts so It's all messed up really but I agree using every triangle possible to pull off area's and keeping It both deformation friendly and appealing is a task in It of Itself.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Don't want to go off on a tangent too much, but it's likely that Max handles 1 vert in 2 smoothing groups or 2 texture islands as 1 vert and Unity counts it as several verts. Anyway - another example of why (I think) it's more important to show wires than give exact numbers.
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, little late here so I'll read them tomo, heres an update on the clown, not looking for crits right now just thought I'd post to show where its at at the moment, will have proper update tomo

M58J4.jpg

old sculpt:

yBzx1.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a little bored today waiting around for a job interview due early next week so I decided to go ahead and quickly sculpt out some native american looking guy, did a quick paintover in photoshop then for fun of some possible character looks. Took a break from the evil clown guy for a bit, but will be getting back to that soon. Again 2 hour sculpt, c & c welcome.

E2afc.jpg

snader: I'll put up some wires soon :)

$!nz: nice guerilla bob model dude, I like the UV's and texture work, I clearly didn't spend long enough on the texture lol Needed to spend a bit more time just rendering it off.

felipefrango: thanks for UV tips, I did try straightening the hats UV's but didn't want to stretch them at the same time so I figured lower quality looks better than completely distorted! When unwrapping the torso I was thinking of adding the strap at the time but decided not to later, it could always be added later anyway so at least I have the option I guess :| Yes the arcade machine mesh could be better, like I said was a little careless but later on decided not to use it in-game anyway so an optimized mesh isn't such a big deal anymore. Probably shouldn't have shown the wires then lol Thanks for the paintover though :D
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to knock up a quick paintover of one of my old sculpts today, mostly to save myself from doing nothing at all since I'm waiting to hear back from a studio to see whether or not I got the job after a rather successful interview, need to get focused again and get back to that clown next!

Uwdrt.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Saviour good luck on that interview/hiring process.
    Also they must have picked someone already, but at the end of this week I want to find out what they thought.

Keep posting and working if your getting interviews your golden, like the new paint overs & work, that clown is coming out nice.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    *brofist* congrats on the job interveiw, best of luck!
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I didn't get the job for that Guerilla Bob art test, they told me that a day or two after I sent it to them, although it would be cool to see the model of the one who got the job, anyone know the successful applicant?

The interview I had recently was with a film studio, it's not games but since I'm just starting off I'm not going to be picky, films are cool too :D
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A WIP of a sculpt I am currently working on for a new character of mine that I intend to get finished over the next few days hopefully, happened to come across the concept of this character in a new issue of 2000AD's weekly and had to make this guy, he looked way bad ass!

Sculpt still has a way to go but they'll be updates on it over the next few days so feel free to watch this space! Thanks for reading

mDc2N.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update on the Ian Mckellen model from earlier, does it still look like him?! looking at it too long to tell lol

zxWCr.jpg
  • Rezghenth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does, although I think he's starting to sag a little too much around the mouth. Pump a bit of botox into the old man :)
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the clown, interesting take and he is looking quite bad ass.
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, heres a quick update on the killer clown sculpt, will update this again soon, hopefully will have it complete in another day:

ajTsH.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Early WIP screen of generic sci-fi corridor, has to be done I'm afraid! Much more to do, just thought I'd post something as I like to keep things active.

rsSq3.jpg

Some playing around with UDK...

k2fsJ.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

15pje.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from a holiday in the U.S so decided to get straight back to the sci-fi corridor scene I was working on, decided to take it a little further than the original concept that I was basing it off of. Heres a quick paintover of it at the moment, thought I'd add some wires above, a door, halographic screen, lazers and would like to add some crates as well at some point.

9YdQU.jpg

Also heres the texture map to the first few props that I made before my break, crits on them or anything I can change to make them better would be appreciated :) Thanks

OvSwD.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a crate I made for this scene, theres a couple of things I'd like to try and do with it inside UDK's material editor next, I've literally just got the three texture maps you see above hooked up at the moment. C & c most appreciated :)

WXYKB.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice textures, you're getting better! Though looking at it I can't tell if there's more geometry to it other than the cube, I can see some depth but it's so minimal it just looked like a primitive cube. Try making the geometry more interesting, more depth would help sell the edge scraping you have going on there (as of now IMHO it looks a bit weird cause the cube's face is almost plane).
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango: Thanks for the comment, and yeah I agree about the crate, I'm going back to bevel those corners and see what else I can do to improve it, I'll keep what you said in mind ;)

Anyway while I go back and finish the crate heres a door I just finished, again some crits would help me to improve it so don't hesitate to rip me to shreds lol

JyuWo.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, heres a quick slide show of some of my work over the past few months, will be putting together a proper video show reel soon, would like to get some more work done first though, if you have the time let me know what you think!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__dkPwx8azE[/ame]
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Overall not that bad. You have a lot of W.I.Ps and paint overs/quick doodles in the video though. I would suggest putting more finished work to show that you can complete projects
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    for that metal crate can you show us your material setup as well as a screen shot of the model without your diffuse and spec on it.
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a model I'm working on, created the high poly and baked a normal and AO map from it as shown. Just need to make the specular map now.

Orgoth02: Thanks, yeah I agree, theres alot of WIPs in there, I put this together just to gain some cheap exposure really lol my real demo reel that I plan to have out by the end of the year will have only finished work.

snake85027: Yeah no prob, I'll get together a screen soon. Just reworking the low poly at the moment, just need to fix a couple of things with it and I'll post another update on it.

9cMXh.jpg

Let me know what you think of it so far! Also bonus points for anyone who can name the game where the original prop is from.

Steve
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some lighting to the diffuse map to help the source shader out, made a spec map and greened it up. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's done, might push the spec map a little more maybe but other than that I think it's come out nice.

2GAb1.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress I say a darker green variation, It looks way to bright right now at least for my liking maybe someone else will like how bright It is when It lands next to them. ;)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I think the main issue is the lack of purpose on your design elements. The metal plates seem to be placed at random, there's no apparent function for them, nor do they seem attached by anything (rivets, bolts, weld marks). You're getting better at the execution, but even props must tell a story. ;D
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I think it's finished now, crits are welcome

$!nz: It's darker now

felipefrango: I added some bolts to the metal plates, makes it look more solid I think.

mljwq.jpg

PtqtL.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to take a small break from environment stuff and try and get this sculpt together, it's getting there...slowly, not having much time to spend on this guy is getting annoying! Hopefully I can get this sculpt finished soon :| Crits are welcome at this stage, also heres the reference image I used for the back of the jacket, quite happy with the back (still have work to do there), not as happy with the front yet (have lots of work to do there lol)

MSEei.jpg

txgYv.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some days off work to get some art done, thought I'd try and go back to this quick zbrush sculpt I did awhile back and develop it a little further, he's going to be in a cyberpunk world, hence the eye thing, would like to add something like this to the final model.

Anyhow hopefully will get another day off from work to finish off an environment I've been working on in my sparetime, crits are welcome, thanks!

RGLzo.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling this model done, lost interest with it for now, maybe will get back to it some time and make a game res textured version of it one day, until then hope you guys like, feel free to crit, all crits are appreciated, thanks!

EutHU.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    all your normal maps are incorrect... invert the normal map's green channel... your shit will look better, i promise

unless they changed the way they do their tangent space normal maps the green channel is always -y.

they = UDK BTW
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    This is what I'm talkin about...
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks nfrrtycmplx, noted :)

Got myself another studio interview lined up for tomo, this time I am selling myself for this job! So thought I'd put together a few pic's of my first mini environment, took about 5/6 days to make I think Oo Did this a couple of months back, but only posting it now!

Hope you guys like, if not let me know why! In the process of starting a new environment piece, going to take my time with this next one and hopefully it will be a good portfolio piece. More on that later ;)

Heres my first UDK environment piece, crits appreciated:

eBQbP.jpg
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got myself a studio job this week, it took a few months but I got there in the end :D Anyway while I await my first day at the studio heres a concept I'm having some fun putting together for a character I'd like to model somtime. Crits are welcome :)

vGCWN.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations dude, where will you be working at?